From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:23:41 -0500

Thanks to everyone who wrote & gave me ideas. I made crepes last night using my gf flour mix & stuffing them with a mixture of italian & turkey sausage along with ricotta cheese. I topped them with spaghetti sauce & they were great! Incredibly easy to do. As suggested I had 2 pans going at once so I got through the crepe making pretty fast. My husband, non-cd, loved them too. I feel like I actually ate real pasta, & these will be great for lasagna.

Carol ( I think these will be several posts).......

 I made crepes once in my French class, using rice flour as a substitute for the wheat flour and they worked fine!

 We just had crepes for dinner tonight!  I fill them with a wild mushroom cream mixture.  Let me know if you want that recipe.  Here is the crepes recipe:

GF Crepes
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. potato starch
3 Tbsp milk
pinch salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients till no lumps.  Heat 5 or 6 inch fry pan to medium heat.  Move pan from heat and spray with nonstick spray.  Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into pan.  Cook 1 minute, flip and cook for 30 seconds more until golden brown.  Makes 5.
----------------------------

GF crepes are so easy and delicious!  We use a recipe from an older Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for Swedish Pancakes.

3 eggs
1 1/4 c milk (we use rice milk)
3/4 c gf flour mix
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

beat eggs until thick, stir in milk, add dry ingredients, mix until smooth.  Cook in a crepe pan or rounded frypan (may need some oil).

For our family we have to triple the recipe!  They are really so easy.  My only problem is that I have one pan so can only cook one at a time.  As the crepes are done I stack on a plate and cover with a pie tin to keep warm.
Eat like pancakes, or add crepe fillings.
We use our home made gf flour mix (similar to Bette Hagman's) and prefer it over just using rice flour.
-----------------------------

I have previously made very thin pancakes using a flour called Doves Farms white flour, (it is mainly rice flour I think) which is gluten free.  This is available in UK.  They were very good pancakes.  If I remember correctly, I used one egg, 3 ounces of flour, and milk to make a thinner than usual consistency, very, very runny.
I suppose that without flour, the crepes would be rather omelette like?
-----------------------------

 I make manicotta which is a crepe. It comes out very good and is easy to make.
The recipe is:
a cup and a half of GF flour(I use Bob Mills all purpose gf flour)
a cup and a half of water
6 eggs

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend
Let stand for about 45 minutes

Then lightly oil a pan , Heat it and then  make crepes. It works very well. Keep them thin.

You can fill the immediately or you can stack them with a piece of wax paper between each crepe and fill them later.

Filling 2 lbs of ricotta
2 eggs and grated cheese to taste.
Mix together and fill crepes.

--------------------------
I saw this on the list today and was intrigued. I went to the food channel and copied the recipe, which follows. It looks easy and tasty.
Best Regards,
Amy Ratner
Associate Editor
Gluten-Free Living
[log in to unmask] net

Baked Cheese Crepes Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
See this recipe on air Thursday Nov. 01 at 1:30 PM ET/PT.

Show:  Everyday Italian
Episode:  Eggilicious

6 large eggs
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons (about) unsalted butter
8 ounces fontina cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 cup Marinara Sauce, recipe follows
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat a 6-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Brush the skillet with some butter. Working quickly, pour 3 tablespoons of the egg mixture into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Cover and cook until the egg crepe is just set, about 1 minute. Invert the skillet over a plate, and allow the egg crepe to drop onto the plate. Repeat to make 10 crepes total, brushing the skillet with melted butter as needed and stacking crepes on the plate.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange 1 egg crepe on a work surface. Place some of the fontina and mozzarella cheese in the center of the egg crepe, then sprinkle with some basil. Roll up the crepe. Place the filled crepe in the prepared baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining egg crepes, cheese, and basil. Spoon the marinara sauce over the crepes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes.

Marinara Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
Yield: 2 quarts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes