From:
Aviva (Lisa) Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:29:54 -0600

Happy Chanukah to all who celebrate it.  I wanted to share a few recipes
I successfully made for the holiday.  I hope all enjoy them!

Latkes (potato pancakes)
This amount served 14 people who probably could have eaten more. ;-)

12 medium potatoes unpeeled
1 1/2 medium onions
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsps baking powder
Canola oil

Heat canola oil in a large skillet to fry the latkes.

Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook until almost
done (approximately 45 minutes).  Drain and place in a colander to cool.
 Use your food processor shredding disc to shred the potatoes.  They
will look a bit like mashed potatoes when you're done, but you'll still
have some chunks.  Discard any large pieces of peel (or give them to
your dog like I did ;-) ).  Put in a large bowl.  Depending upon the
bowl size of your processor, you may need to do this step several times.

Remove the shred disc and mince the onions.  Add to the potatoes.  Next
add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper and baking powder.  Mix well.

Use a large spoon and spatula to add the latke to the oil.  Brown on one
side, flip over, brown the other side then remove to a plate covered
with paper towels to drain.  Enjoy with applesauce (see recipe below) or
sour cream.

Gourmet Applesauce for Latkes
Makes 4 cups sauce

6 apples
water
1/4 cup sugar, or less
lemon juice to taste (optional)

Peel, pare and core the apples and place in a pot with water almost to
cover.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce to simmer, cook
until tender, about 10 minutes, mash.  Add sugar and lemon juice to
taste, if needed.  Simmer about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Sufganyot (donuts)
Makes 15-20 donuts

1 1/4 cups slightly warm water
1 Tbs yeast
6 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg yolks
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 3/4 cups flour (I used Bette Hagman's basic blend)
powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups strawberry jelly or jam
canola oil

Whisk together the yeast and water and let rise.  Add sugar, salt, oil,
egg yolks, egg and vanilla extract. Blend well and stir in most of the
flour to form a soft dough. Knead by hand or with the dough hook on a
stand mixer, adding flour as needed. Allow dough to sit for about an
hour minimum to thicken.  Even so, the dough will still be "drippy".  (I
really thought it wouldn't work when I saw how drippy the dough still
was.)

Heat oil in a deep fryer or a wok (using my wok worked perfectly).  Drop
by full tablespoons into the hot oil carefully.  Brown on both sides and
drain on a plate covered with paper towels.

Some will not form donuts that will be large enough to fill, so just
leave those for the time being.  Take the large donuts; stick a small
knife halfway into the donut, remove it carefully and insert a
teaspoonful of strawberry jelly or jam.  Take both the jelly-filled and
the smaller, unfilled donuts and put in a ziploc bag with powdered sugar
and toss to coat.  These are fabulous!  I had serious doubts about these
turning out and everyone loved them.

You can also fill them with a cream filling or put chocolate frosting on
them for a variation, or get creative.

These are all dishes kids can help with with parental supervision
(especially in terms of the hot oil).

Enjoy!

Aviva
(Chicago area)