From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:43:49 -0400

When I was in Israel in 1991, there seemed to be a proliferation of diced salads on the hotel buffets.  With the drought, I didn't see as much when we returned two years ago.

I still make diced salad all the time....whatever is on sale or you have handy.

Mostly I use diced cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes, tomatoes, onion (red is more flavorful), chives or scallions, fresh herbs.....Splash in some vinegar (don't drown it), preferably something like garlic vinegar, but any will do.  Salt (optional), pepper.  If the cucumbers are bitter, you might have to toss in a little sweetener...sugar or something like Stevia.

Optional additions....Just depends on my mood...and the price at the supermarket
pine nuts (any nuts)
fresh edamame (soy beans), or drained, rinsed canned beans...just don't overpower the salad
orange slices (mandarin...canned or fresh)
apple chunks, pear chunks

Whatever you crave or have in the frig will probably work.