From:
David Nelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:39:46 -0500

Current opinion on this is far from unanimous.

Best model is probably "juvenile onset" (type I) diabetes where researchers
are pretty sure that you need two things:

1--the genetic predisposition (& the set of genes is thought to be the same
set of genes that put you at risk for CD and several other "autoimmune"
conditions)

2--an environmental trigger.  In DM type I it's probably an adenovirus.
Several studies suggest that in CD it's an adenovirus as well but this is
not as clearly worked out.

CD presenting in infancy or childhood tends to be a fulminant disease.
Later on more insidious.

My belief, generally supported by evidence, is that you're born with the
RISK of developing CD but that you aren't really gluten intolerant until you
experience the trigger that sets off the cascade of events which results in
the autoimmunity.

David A. Nelsen, Jr., MD, MS
Department of Family & Community Medicine
UAMS