From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:56:43 -0700

The discussion continues . . .
----------------------
I fully understand and applaude your desire and ability to stick to the diet
and hope you will always be able to control your health. My issue is this. I
have a 13 year old daughter who has Celiac. Her sole problem was
constipation. Her height and weight are fine,  and her nutrient absorption
is fine.  She never had any physical symptoms other than chronic
constipation her whole life. She has been GF 13 months now. There has been
no difference in the way she feels whatsoever. She feels just as good as she
did before and no better. She still suffers from constipation the same as
pre GF.She  follows the diet 100%. Her blood levels are now in the normal
range her tgg is just slightly elevated.
   I can't understand how she can be so diligent when she never had a
problem. I sometimes question what am I doing? When I read that people have
lived full lives and are being diagnosed now in their 70's and 80's. I
wonder  what would have happened if we hadn't picked it up.The blood panel
was done as a fluke and came back positive.As did the biopsy. This was a
girl who lived on Pizza, macaroni and bread her whole life with no physical
symptoms. I am scared for the time when she begins to question why she
should stay on the diet.
[Too bad she's so young.  Otherwise I'd try to make arrangements for her to
meet my 22 year old son!  ha ha ha!]
----------------
I'm with you on following the diet! I think the alternative is no picnic and
don't know why people are so reluctant to follow the diet. I know it
requires a lot of change, but well worth it! : )   Liz
----------------
My sisters and nieces have tested negitive, but still have all the symptoms
and won't go on the diet.
I am so tired of trying to get them to listen and not treat me as if I am
just accepting this sickness instead of fighting it. Kay White, Missouri
----------------
Wow, it's astonishing to me that anyone would eat gluten who has celiac
disease! Eating gluten is as appealing to me as eating a bowl of E. coli,
and that's no exaggeration.
    I spent so many years sick and in pain that I never want to go back to
living that way.
    For the first year or so after diagnosis I had “gluten nightmares” all
of the time. Nightmares like being trapped in a bread factory with no exits.
   I know that sounds silly, but after spending so many years being so sick
and in so much pain and then knowing exactly what the substance was that
made me sick, I was literally horrified that I would somehow ingest this
poison.
   I still have the nightmares, but they are not as frequent.
   A registered dietitian jokingly told me that I have “Post Traumatic
Gluten Disorder.”

*******
*******