From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:40:36 -0500

A friend just gave me her favorite sweet potato pie recipe and it turns out it's gluten free.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease well a pan that is able 3 inches deep and about 7 inches square.  (No need to be exact.)

2 large cans of sweet potato, drain off any liquid.
Use a hand beater (or electric) to whip it with 3-4 tablespoons of margerine or butter, until mixed.
Add 1 large can (20oz?) of crushed pineapple...liquid drained off first.
Add a few pinches of salt...or not.
Add 1/4 cup (or less) of maple syrup or molasses.
Stir well.

Pour into pan and bake for about 45 minutes until it starts to bubble....need not be furious bubbling. Then top with as many marshmallows as you want, being sure to keep the marshmallows away from the edge of the pan (about 3/4 inch around), so it won't bubble over, and return to oven until the mallows melt and brown lightly.

My comment...I'd add cinnamon to the mix or on top before the first baking.
My spin on this recipe is to used sliced (peeled) sweet potatoes or yams or even butternut squash and alternate with slices of pineapple. Bake same way. Top with mallows, and brown lightly. I use lots of cinnamon in my recipe. I make enough for a 8 x 10 inch baking pan and use a whole bag of small marshmallows.

Enjoy.