Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:25:20 -0800

Hi fellow listmembers,
 I recieved 50 responses to my pie crust request. I was making an apple
pie and very frustrated with the crust...especially the top. It kept
falling apart and looked like a 3 year old had made it. Here is the
summary of the responses including a couple of quick recipes.

 1. Suggestions for recipes were: dream pastry recipe in Betty Hagman's
book ( not sure which book), vinegar pie crust from Betty Hagman's first
book.

recipe #1 from Betty C

l l/2 cups of gf mix flour
1/2 c soy flour
2/3 cups shortening
5-7 tablespoons cold water ( I use 7 )
l teaspoon Xantham

mix this as you would any dough for pie form your dough into a ball and
divide in half place one ball of dough betweentwo sheets of wax paper,
roll out the dough to the thickness you want but it should be on the
thin side.  You will have to turn the paper over and roll the reverse
side.  Peel the top paper off and gently place in pie plate forming to
your plate, then gently peel the remaing paper off.  (mend any place
that needs it) Roll your top crust the same way you rolled the bottom
crust, remove one paper, then again gently turn your crust over your pie
filling, remove the remaing wax paper (carefully) crimp your edges, and
I usually sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon on the top.  I found
it takes a little practice in working with the wax paper cause it wants
to slide or creep, but be patient it will come together.

recipe #2 from Jessie

2 1/2  cups of above flour mix
2 sticks of cold GF butter.(  I used Tillamook or Land o Lakes)
4 Tablespoons of cold milk
1 egg

 The recipe I used was the one posted a couple of weeks ago. Another
suggestion was to put an egg in your recipe to help bind it.

2. Alot of people suggested rolling the pastry between waxed paper or
plastic wrap. Some spray it with a gf oil spray. Then it is easier to
get onto the pie. David suggested a non stick cloth be used to roll the
pastry out on but I am not familiar with that and not sure where to get
one. Another suggestion was:quote

We use the no mess dough disc that Carolina Country Kitchen offers.
It is a disc about 16" in diameter with a cover that you sprinkle a GF
flour on.  When you roll out your dough it will just peel off without
any trouble at all.  They also have a cover for the rolling pin that is
also a great work saver and keeps the dough from sticking.
Check out their web site at      www.brinet.com/~cck
or call them at 1.828.693.6549

3. At least 1/2 the responses suggested a crumble top or studel type
apple pie. Here is one recipe that I tried and is wonderful. Quote:

I use a streusel topping for my Dutch Apple Pie.  Mix 3/4 c.  GF flour
thoroughly with 1/2 tsp.  cinnamon.  Stir in 1/3 c.  light brown sugar.
Cream 1/3 c.  butter until soft and smooth and work into the
flour-cinnamon-sugar mixture until well blended.  Sprinkle this crumbly
mixture over the top of the pie before baking.  This burns easily so
bake in a slow oven (325*) and watch carefully.

If you're milk-free, you can use a MF margarine but it's not as good as
real butter.  Note:  Vegetable spreads or diet margarines will NOT work.

4. The last suggestion was a really good one and that was to make the
bottom crust as usual and repair it as needed but for the top crust use
cookie cutters to piece the top on. I tried this today and it looks
great ( still in the oven). Here is one quote:

	I solved this problem by using a pretty cookie cutter.  I have
one that looks like a holly leaf.  I roll out the pie dough to the
proper thickness and then use the cookie cutter to cut out as many
leaves as I can.  Next, I carefully slide the waxed paper onto a cookie
sheet and place it in the freezer for a few minutes.  When the dough
becomes stiff I peel off the "cookies" and place them attractively onto
the pie.

	For Thanksgiving I just sort of pile them on.  (think raked
leaves) But for Christmas I arrange them like a wreath and place a few
red hots here and there to look like holly berries.  Thanks Lynda for
that suggestion.  I too have a leaf cookie cutter and it worked great.

Thanks again for all the responses. I know there are alot of important
celiac and gluten free issues these days ,but some times it's just  nice
to handle the simple ones! Please feel free to contact me if you have
any questions on this summary. I have kept all the responses in a
folder.
       Di in B.C.