From:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 20:33:04 -0400

Thank you to all who replied!

I received one request for the summary from someone recently diagnosed with both a gluten and soy intolerance, and one reply with some links to the Rhode Island Celiac listings of restaurants!

Here are the two links to listings I received:
http://www.celiacsupportgroup.com/restlocations.html the link to the website for the Rhode Island Celiac Support Group
http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/adv_search.php?name=&city=&state=RI&cuisine=&submit=Search the link to the Gluten Restaurant Awareness Program with the search specified for Rhode Island

My cousin, whom we were staying with, suggested Julian's which she knows handles allergies frequently. Here is their website: http://www.juliansprovidence.com. I wrote the head chef and he confirmed that he could handle both the gluten and soy and suggested a few items which would be safe. We ate there a couple times and it was fabulous, and there were no ill effects. It was also convenient in that it was quite near where my cousin lived. One note: its a very popular place and thus frequently has a wait for tables. For lunch I believe we had a 20 minute wait, and our next venture there later that night was a 50 minute wait.

From the two links of places in Rhode Island, I also contacted the chef at Encore: http://www.encorenprov.com/1.html
The chef confirmed they could accommodate both gluten and soy allergies. We did not get a chance to go and see it, however.

Our second day there we passed a Pizza place, my cousin knew had gluten free crusts. Its called "Nice Slice" and is on Thayer Street in Providence. Here is their website: http://www.niceslice.com. We had no idea if they could accommodate soy allergie as well, but we went in to ask. They definitely have a gluten free crust, and many of the toppings are gluten/soy free, so the main issue is the crust. They could not immediately find the ingredients list on the gluten free crust, but they did confirm that they do not use vegetable oil on-site, only olive oil. Since we knew it was gluten free, we left the decision to eat there up to my friend who also has the soy allergy. She decided it was worth trying. It was fabulous. I did not get sick at all. My friend was having some stomach troubles (unrelated to soy/gluten, there is also IBS, and it was a stressful weekend) before we ate and after we ate, but she did not get the tell-tale palate itching or trouble breathing that can occur from her soy sensitivity, and her stomach was no worse after she ate than before, so as best we can tell it was also definitely soy free. I would go at a non-peak time and talk to the people there, they were all very nice.

In summary, eating over the weekend happened and neither of us starved! Also, it was gorgeous weather. Hopefully we shall get a chance to visit again!

Thanks,

Lucy