From:
B.J. Broadbent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:56:50 -0500

I'm a relatively newly diagnosed CD (last November) and prior to having to
go GF my wife and I were used to going with a group of friends to my Elk's
lodge (Garden Grove, CA) for their once-a-month Pizza Sunday. When I went
GF, when my wife and I stopped going, the entire group stopped going.  We
all missed it, so my wife bought a metal pizza pan and learned to make
pizza crust.

I then called the lodge secretary and told her of my problem.  She checked
with the cook about me bringing in my own crust and them putting the
toppings on it, which he agreed to do.  We told our friends and we all
again met for pizza last Sunday.  The lodge help was expecting me and I
ordered and paid (full price, as I insisted) for the pizza and gave them my
crust on the metal pan at the same time the others ordered their pizzas.

All came out together and we all had a great time.

Since the lodge has regular pizza ovens, the metal pan prevents
contamination since the other pizzas age put in the ovens without pans.
While I couldn't drink from the usual pitchers of beer, I had to make do
with a carafe of wine... and we're going to repeat this every month from
now on.

If you belong to a private club, try talking to them and their kitchen
staff to see what can be worked out so you can enjoy eating at the club
again.  I'm looking forward to St Patricks day... corned beef and cabbage
is GF!!!!

Life is getting better and better the more I learn... I'm 69 years old and
still learning!

B.J. and Sally Broadbent, CA