From:
Deb Galanos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:18:52 -0500

Thank you all who wrote with suggestions!

Some people say  their priest allows a substitution, rice bread, home made
bread.

Others say receive the cup,it is just as much Christ as the bread.

 Some feel the cup could contain some gluten from other people drinking and
accidently pieces of the communion washing back into the cup.

One woman suggested I contact Fr.James Moroney in Washington......a small world!
He is my brother.

Ok folks, here goes.

 The first thing the church would suggest is to receive the wine.
 The only substitution the Catholic Church allows for the host is "low
gluten" hosts.  They say 90% of the gluten is washed away.

 Some, within the church tried to get it changed, and replace xantham gum
for the gluten. This was rejected.

 The current rule states that it must contain some form of wheat, because
this is what would have been in the original bread Jesus would have used.
  The problem they face is where to draw the line, they don't want someone
trying to consecrate pizza and beer.

  I'm not going to even begin to give my opinion. I doubt that would be
constructive.  However, I would like anyone concerned with this issue to
write to my brother and tell him about their situation.  You may all
receive a standard reply, BUT....all the mail is saved in their files for
future review.

If they try again to get the Catholic church to change it's mind on this
issue, it would be great for them to have hundreds of emails to point to
and say, this is an important issue!

  Please, do not mention your priest's name if he is allowing you to
substitute with rice bread, or any other bread that doesn't contain wheat!
If you do this, the priest could be in serious trouble, and that serves no
purpose!

  My brothers email is ([log in to unmask])  I can't find his office
address at the moment (I always use email).  But, if anyone needs it, email
me and I'll dig it up, from under a pile of papers.

  The church changes at a painfully slow pace. Let's not give up!
   Sincerely, Deb Galanos