From:
Jennifer Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:08:11 -0500

Ok, we still don't have a definitive answer on these bars.  As a result of
my post I received the following:

'This is the reply that I received to my inquiry about Balance Bars about 10
days ago:  Thanks for visiting our Web site, and for your inquiry about
Balance Bars and gluten intolerance. We do not currently have information
on the gluten content of the Balance Bar product line.

We understand how difficult it can be to plan diets for gluten
sensitivity, so an assessment of the gluten content of these products'
ingredients is currently underway.'

'Jennifer - Do you know if the brown rice syrup contains barley?  Most rice
syrups do,so I was just wondering if the the total sweetening process was
GF or just the fruit juice concentrates & grains were GF?  Thanks, Pam'

'We do not currently have information on the gluten content of Balance
Bar/Jenny Craig products. We understand how difficult it can be to plan
diets for gluten sensitivity, so an assessment of the gluten content of
these products' ingredients is currently underway. Note that "grain
dextrins" in BALANCE Outdoor Crunchy Peanut covers a wide variety of
grains, except corn, barley, buckwheat, kamut, oats, rye, triticale and
wheat.'

'Better check with them about the rice syrup. It often has a barley origin,
as it does with Westsoy. -vance'

'I checked on Balance bars a week or so ago and they told me that they could
not say that any of them were GF at this time.  They are being checked and
should have an answer shortly. Hope this helps.'

I also called the mfr who told me they would put some information in the
mail or 'call me' shortly.  I DO NOT know if the rice syrup is gf at this
time, but hopefully, with this much pressure on the mfr to provide this
information they will have a more definitive answer soon.  I have to tell
you that I ate 2 of those things yesterday and I do not feel as if I have
been poisoned - yet.

Thanks for your inputs!