From:
Diana Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:06:37 -0400

Here is a summary of responses to Thai Food:

I asked if there was soy sauce in my fried rice  Kow Pot.  He said
yes. He went and got the soy sauce bottle and wheat was the first
ingredient!   Nix that.The fish sauce and other sauces are made out of
the country and have starch in them which I believe is wheat based (not
corn based as modified food starch found in US).

The more authentic Thai places make their soy sauce from soy, not
wheat. You can ask about that. Some use GF soy sauce in their cooking in
the kitchen, but put commercial non GF on the tables. You can often just
ask them to cook a dish without the soy sauce. In the more authentic
places you can't find a drop of gluten to save yourself. They don't use it.

I too love Thai Food.  The place I frequent has told
me that only thier Egg Rolls and Wonton Soup have
gluten in it.  I have eaten there with much success!

Ask for MSG free oyster and fish sauce.  My restaurant
says the peanut sauce is GF that they use.  I am very
sensitive and have never had a reaction from it.  They
cook with native Thai soy sauce but put Kikoman (sp?)
on the table for extra seasoning if you want it.

Kikoman has wheat listed in the ingredients so I just
do not use it. :+)  Enjoy!

I'd say it depends on the restaurant, but as a general rule I make
sure my dish doesn't contain soy sauce, fish sauce or oyster sauce.Some
places even the chili sauce unfortunately....

I LOVE Thai food--- I've found lots of hidden gluten, but commonly
from soy sauce. The local Thai places here do use lots of soy
sauces... but... if I bring in my own Tamari (wheat-free soysauce
commonly found in health food stores) they are always happy to
use my GF ingredients :) I also use restaurant cards for them to
look over, they'll substitute where necessary.

Also, most oyster sauces that I've bought myself have been GF---
but ask your restaurant what they use :)

End result: I order whatever I want, they modify-- I usually order
Phad See Iew, Phad Kee Mao or curry dishes. I've never gotten
sick so long as I explained my wishes and handed the server a
card to show the chef :)