From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 11:44:41 -0400

*1/ I need to correct something I said in the last message [This is a
quote, not from me, GK] - GIG does indeed have
the "disputed grains" on their "grains to avoid" list.

GIG states in their literature that some of the grains have not been
adequately tested.  Do either of you know of a list of grains (and related
plants - as I understand it, quinoa and sorghum aren't technically grains)
which *have* been "adequately tested"?  Has sorghum (jowar)?

===
[When the above author says "Do either of you know..." I think the "you"
refers to Janet Rinehart and to me.  I would like to suggest that both of
us are lay people and that such a list should come from a food scientist.
We could start with Don Kasarda, but perhaps we should get at least three
different lists from three different and diverse expert sources.  I have a
friend who has a PhD in food chemistry from MIT who would probably be able
to give me a name or two to contact.  He only has e-mail at the office, so
I'll have to contact him by snail mail, but I'll get on that and see what
can be accomplished. Maybe Dr. Fasano or Dr. Greene, or Dr. Murray would
know of such lists.  GK]

======

The above message ties in nicely with the next message:

*2/ Perhaps the organizations publishing celiac diet information could create a
new catergory for the non gluten grains.  Gluten free if not  cross
contaminated.  Celiacs would then need to know how careful the processers have
been.

======

The above suggestion makes a lot of sense and would eliminate many of the
frustrations that many of us are feeling.  Perhaps all the celiac
organizations could agree on that as an additional category that we could
all live with.

Gayle Kennedy