From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 11:45:16 -0500

<Taylor Cush(ing? more?) wrote re: the vacation. " Here is my idea....I
went to a wonderful GF dinner in Connecticut about three weeks ago.  The
chef was very
>familiar with gluten problems, either someone in his family or he, himself,
>was GF.  Anyhow,  I asked him if he would be interested in cooking GF for a
>group on vacation and he thought it was a very interesting idea.  My thought
>is this.  We find a place.  Then pay for his and his family's vacation and he
>would prepare meals for us at the resort kitchen.  (Actually I spoke to him
>about a cruise).  Something to think about.  Believe me this guy was good  ,
>even willing to share his GF recipies and make things to order for the group.
>(The CT celiac group.  One of the best).
>Does this idea have any merit?  What do others think?"

Here's what I think...In Estes Park, Colorado there is a camp owned by the
YMCA that has cabins, hiking, lodge, and I don't know what else, because I
have only heard about it, but never been there.  That might be available
for a week of gluten-free vacation time - I think the Y might find it an
interesting concept.

In Hemet, California, not far from Palm Springs there used to be a place
called Meadowlark that was an inexpensive health spa.  Swimming pool, main
house with dining room and library,  exercise room facilities, and various
rooms for guests.  I spent a week there for under $1000.  There is a lovely
chapel.  The place was run by a kind of guru named Evarts Loomis, MD.  I
believe he has since gone on to another location.  There were chiropractic
MD's connected with the place, and massage therapists and yoga instructors.
Also color therapy (?), dream analysis (??), meditation.  It was a mixed
bag.  The last letter I received from the place was dated 1990 and I've no
idea whether or not it is still in operation, but they have a sufficient
kitchen to deal with  - I'd guess - 50 guests.  There are hikes in the
country and marvelous quiet.  I'll send off a letter and see if they are
still in operation.  Perhaps someone on the LIST knows the area and could
check out the possibility of taking over for a week of gluten-free cooking
and relaxation.

Cruising has always been on my list of nothing to do.  I suppose if we were
in the Caribbean and stopped at different islands every day it would be
lots of fun.  But gambling and movies and dancing are not quite what I want
out of a vacation.  Good, gluten-free food in a nice setting sounds like
heaven, however.

The point of this rambling, is that I think a gluten-free vacation location
is a real possibility.  Perhaps we should find out how many people on the
list would be interested, what they think it should cost, how many of the
family would attend. Do they want Manhattan or the Adirondaks or?? Other
considerations...  I guess I hear myself saying that I'd be willing to be
the coordinator if Taylor C would lend a hand.  I wouldn't be able to pull
it together until fall, at the earliest, as I am sure any place would
already be booked for summer 1996.  Perhaps we should think about a winter
getaway in warmer climes.  I have no need for golf, but perhaps many of you
do.  Tennis might be nice.  Walking and swimming would be great.  A canoe
or a boat or a little sail boat would be great, but please no jet skis and
no snow mobiles.  Maybe others would prefer skiing or cross-country.  If
you want to send me your thoughts, I'd make lists and let you know what
happens.  We'd have to have some sort of financial committment before we
shift into high gear.  Perhaps Dr. Fasano and Dr. Murray or Dr. Kagnoff or
???  would like to come lead a seminar...they could do some sort of blood
test or psychological analysis of the group for research purposes - the
mind boggles.

So, if you think this idea has merit, send me a note with ideas -

Happy New Year to all you wonderful people.  What a great resource you are.

Gayle Kennedy