From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:16:54 -0800

    I have a question about the rice pasta used in
Vietnamese cuisine.  In one of the local oriental
markets in Sacramento (it's a *really* big store),
almost all of the fresh rice pasta has wheat starch
in it.  How common is it for the fresh rice pasta
and "eggroll" wraps at Vietnamese restaurants to
also have wheat starch in them?  I'm pretty sure
that has been what I've reacted to on a couple of
occasions at two different Thai restaurants.  I've
never had trouble with the rice "paper" wraps
though (they're usually used in Thai eggrolls).

    If it turns out that Vietnamese food generally
does have safe (gluten-free) noodles, etc., I will
start to explore the local Vietnamese restaurants
to see who makes it that way.  I had just assumed
(probably incorrectly) that I wouldn't be able to
find a place that didn't have wheat starch in their
pasta.

    I look forward to hearing from any Vietnamese
couisine connoisseurs.

                Thank you,

                Kirsten Klinghammer