Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:04:33 EDT

My nearly 12 yr old son is celiac with short stature. I did a lot of reading
and found there are quite a few articles about growth issues in celiacs. Go into
the archives and search on "short stature." Do the same on Medline (NIH.gov.)
Most of the posts and literature say that after starting a GF diet celiac
children grew at a faster rate.

That's not always the case, of course. In my son's case, it's not so likely
he'll ever catch up to his intended height. We've been to a growth doctor, had
extensive testing, and found that he has enough growth hormone but that he's
deficient in a factor that allows the body to use the growth hormone.

Also, you should be aware that low bone density can result from growth
hormone treatment. (For celiacs, it's a double risk.) Children on growth hormones
need extra calcium, through Viactiv or other strong calcium supplement.

Holly Baker
Media PA