From:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:15:20 -0700

I was just wondering, I find it hard enough to be gluten free, but I
also need to avoid dairy, egg, soy, yeast, and bananas.  Sometimes I get
really down, and that's when I am tempted to rationalize eating
something I shouldn't to myself.  I know I shouldn't do it, it's stupid,
and I pay for it, sometimes immediately, sometimes over the next couple
of days.  And I know it can't be any good for my health long term,
either.

Especially lately, I just lost a very good friend to lung cancer, and
I've been really down, so I go for the "comfort food" when I feel sorry
for myself, also when I'm feeling too depressed and energy-less to cook.
I occasionally use the old reliable, mashed potatoes with some kind of
gravy, and I have found dairy-free, soy-free chocolate bars.  At the
moment, nothing else that's occurring to me as a comfort food is now
readily available to me - used to be meatloaf, macaroni and cheese,
grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, fried chicken, etc.  All of
them either have dairy or gluten, at least when they're prepared
commercially.

It would be helpful to hear from others going through the same thing,
maybe it would help me get out of my pity party and back to working on
being healthy.

So - what do you other folks in my type situation, with other food
allergies too, use for comfort food?  Regular meals or desserts, snacks,
etc., whatever you'd call comfort food.

Linda Ireland, Seattle