From:
Pat McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:34:01 -0800

A while ago someone posted about pounded rice as a substitute for
oatmeal. I bought some yesterday at an Asian market. The brand name is
Pacific Isles and it's a product of the Philipines imported by BF
Imports {South San Francisco). It cost 1.49 for 8 oz.  I was really glad
to find it and anxious to try it out.  Unfortunately, the stuff tasted
awful and I don't know whether (a) the product was stale and/or rancid,
(b) I didn't cook it long enough (about 5 minutes until it looked like
cooked oatmeal) or (c) this is how it's supposed to taste and it's an
acquired taste.  It's bitter tasting kind of like the taste of rice
polish. Also, there was a lot of rice hull mixed in with the rice
flakes. The cooked pinipig as well as the rest of the uncooked stuff is
heading for the compost pile. I hope the earthworms find it tastier...

I'd like to hear what others have experienced before I try it again.
Also, is there a good online source - I saw it at Kinnickkinnick (sp?)
but the s/h makes the cost way out of line.

TIA,
Pat