From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:17:11 -0700

Thank you to everyone who replied about the chili sauce. I've summarized below. I ended up using Thai Kitchen Sweet Chili Sauce, as I had a bottle in the frig. My brisket came out great, though a bit spicier than usual!

  Best,
  Ellen Allard
  www.IAmglutenfree.blogspot.com

  1. I think I've seen both Gold's and Mishpachah kfp chili sauce, or at least something that would work in a brisket recipe. They would both be gf, as well. Not knowing what part of the country you're in, I'm not sure
where you would find them. I've seen them in the Chicago area at our local Jewel supermarket. Alternatively, buy a kfp ketchup and spike it with kfp vinegar and seasonings.

  2. I do not use chilli sauce so this has never come up for me.  But if this is the only sauce you can find I would find out why they are saying it is not GF.

I have had a lot of trouble getting accurate information on the gluten or gluten free status from Heinz.  I was told by a phone rep there that because the celiac community has published conflicting information on vinegar they will not state that any product with vinegar is GF.  He told me they would rather be wrong and tell people not to use a product that is actually safe for them, than be wrong and tell celiacs to use a product that is harmful to them.  He further explained that they neither had the time nor the desire to sort this vinegar issue out for themselves.  So, if the national celiac groups came together on this and all stated that distilled vinegar was GF or if the FDA gave them guidelines stating that distilled vinegar was GF, they would be happy to change their position.  But until then if a Heinz product contains vinegar their official statement would be that it was NOT GF.

Of course if the questionable ingredient is not vinegar this may be pointless.  I just thought you might want to dig a little deeper to find out the status.

  3. We use Thai Kitchen's Spicy Thai Chili sauce and Sweet Red Chili sauce....both are labeled gluten-free as are many other items from this company....there's a list on their website of all gf items.

  There are hundreds of recipes on line-just Google "recipe for chili sauce."  It is really simple to make. Just need canned tomatoes, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, brown sugar, cider vinegar etc. Look it up-it will be better than anything you could possible buy in the store.

  4. Where did you hear that the chili sauce is not gluten free?  I just received an e-mail from them indicating it is gluten free?

  5. Frank's Red Hot is GF

  6. We get this at our local Indian grocery: MD Brand Chilli Sauce, Sauce a chilli, from Sri Lanka. It contains only "normal" ingredients. You might wonder about the E412, E415, and E440 which are European standard ingredients for Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum and Pectin, all of which are taraditionally safe for Celiacs.

I've eaten this product with absolutely no ill effects. It is a bit spicier than what you get from Heinz. Alternatively, you could make your own chili sauce from ketchup and ortega mild chilis - I'd recommend the diced variety. If you want to kick it up a notch (as Emeril might say), then include something hotter along with the Ortega chilis. Put in enough pepper, horseradish, garlic and onion powder. Forget Heinz. Yours will be way better! (Heinz may be sweeter. I think they put in more sugar than for ketchup.)

I've baked my own matzoth this year per the recipe on MSN celiac site. It ain't wonderful, but it isn't the "bread of affliction" of old. I'm not sure Matzoth is going to be in my diet after Seder, but I want to observe the injunction to eat Matzoth during the Seder. I'm Reform, but I'm not unobservant. I'll be enjoying all of the forbiddens like corn, rice and beans, but leavening is definitely an omission over Passover.

7. Sorry, you are wrong.  Heinz chili sauce is gluten free. There is nothing in the ingredients thay states otherwise. You can make your brisket now.

  8. I have not come across a company with a GF chili sauce.  Here is what I'd recommend, you'll have to eyeball the quantities and adjust to taste, I'm not sure how much you will need for your brisket, maybe a couple of
cups of sauce?

Heinz ketchup
Brown sugar
Lemon juice
Olive oil (just a little)
Finely minced onion or onion powder
Finely minced garlic (maybe one or two cloves)
Salt and pepper

  9. Have you phoned Heinz - 1-800-268-6641 - because according to the info they sent me the Chilli Sauce is GF and I have eaten it OK.  Unless it is different in the US from Canada.  Jane

  10. Good timing!  I was just at Wal-Mart looking for a gf chili sauce and was quite surprised to find that their in-house label (Great Value) says gluten free rignt on the label!

  11. Del Monte makes a gluten free chili sauce.

    12. I called Heinz, and they say they cant confirm the Chili sauce is not GF because of the distilled vinegar.
  However, we do know that distilled vinegar is not an issue.  So, the Chili sauce is GF.

  13. I don't know if you are close to a Kroger store, but the Kroger brand chili sauce is GF. It's really good.

  14. When we first went gluten free 3 1/2 years ago I called about Dominicks brand chili sauce.  It is made by Red Gold and they said it was Gluten Free.  Dominicks is owned by Safeway.  We live in the Chicago area.  I have not checked since but I use it all the time for sweet and sour meatballs and my daughter has never reacted.  Of course depending on your level of Kashruth for Passover, the chili sauce does have corn syrup in it and is not CRC Kosher.

  15. I would use Kraft Cocktail Sauce, and perhaps add a little cayenne or Tabasco sauce to heat it up just a bit, to be more like Heinz Chili Sauce.  And perhaps a tiny bit of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.  I think the Kraft product is quite good!

  16.We use Thai Kitchen's Spicy Thai Chili sauce and Sweet Red Chili sauce....both are labeled gluten-free as are many other items from this company....there's a list on their website of all gf items.

Regards, Ellen
  http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/