From:
June Brettler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 02:55:51 EST

A few weeks ago I ordered this product which  was listed as  gluten-free on
the Fresh Direct website.  For those of you outside of  the NYC area, Fresh
Direct is an on-line grocery store.  When I  received my delivery,  I saw
the gluten free label right on the front of  the package.  But the
ingredients listed include "soya sauce."

As we all know, soy sauce (sometimes called "soya sauce" in imported
products) often contains wheat.  In any event, soya sauce is not an  ingredient;
it's an amalgam of ingredients which were not listed on the  package.

I e-mailed  the domestic company (Kohinoor Foods, USA, Inc.) that  imports
it from India to inquire what the ingredients of the soya sauce  are.  I
never received a response in the two weeks since.  I also  e-mailed Fresh
Direct  which finally responded to me after  several  follow-up e-mails telling
me that the company told them that there is no  wheat in it.

I do not trust that.  So I guess the lesson is that even if a product  is
labeled gluten-free, check the ingredients.

June, NY, NY