From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:59:42 -0800

What about drugs (over-the-counter) and prescription or alcohol?  They don't need to list gluten at all.  That is really the only time I call the manufacturers.  I know the pharmaceutical companies have told me to be sure and check as some of their drugs do contain gluten.  Here's to great health!  Roxie
[I have precious little experience w/ prescription drugs so I can say much about that.  The only Rx I take is thyroid replacement & all the brands are GF which my pharmacist checked our for me.  But I do use quite a few OTC medications & dietary supplements for which I've never called a manuracturer & never had a problem.  Someone else may have something different to report about this.]
Hi Valerie - I am right there with you. I have been diagnosed for 12 years now and I think my mother and/or grandmother have called on things for me when they are making something for me, especially right in the beginning, but personally I have never called a manufacturer myself. I will occasionally check a website first if I am looking for a peculiar food or something I have never purchased before for a particular recipe but in general I READ THE INGREDIENTS!! Like you said... and even before the new allergy laws I knew that was the best source of information.I also occasionally get glutened but it is more likely when I am eating out due to me not asking enough questions.Thank you for posting! All viewpoints are needed and I sometimes feel like the minority viewpoint...Renee
Until the Food Allergen Labeling Law went into effect on Jan 1, 2006, manufacturers did NOT have to disclose ingredients that comprised less than 2% of the product by weight.  Lots of trace things slipped by, including flour in spice mixes and flour dusting on packaging lines. That's probably what made you sick... Now the new labels often say "Contains less than 2% of ----" & I think "HURRAH, FINALLY!"  Best part of the law is that it actually has TEETH and failure to comply, while difficult to prove, can result in criminal & cival penalties (fines) and product recalls.  Since the new GF labeling will be voluntary, manufactures can easily opt out....Not so with the Allergy Labeling! I totally agree w/ you about reading labels. If inside the package doesn't match what's on the outside, the manufacture has big problems!   People need to learn the rules and the terms.  Lots of questions here are needless if people did their homework.

One of the best sites I've seen is at http://www.gfutah.org/label_reading.htm

Check it out if you haven't already!       The USDA handles meat & poultry and fixed problem w/ their labels in the early 1990s... http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Help/FAQs_Flavorings/index.asp#1 Turkey & ham questions each fall can be solved just by reading the labels

When I read here that something has gluten in that I think must be wrong I am willing to call the manufacturer to check myself. Otherwise like you, I just read the package