From:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:41:56 -0400

The big news yesterday was the passage of S. 741 by the Health
Subcommittee.  But, it was also quite exciting to hear what members
said about the bill.

The Subcommittee Chairman, Mike Bilirakis (R-FL), highlighted the
allergen labeling provisions, then sternly pointed out he intends to
see this bill enacted and will be watching closely over its
implementation.   Rep. Jim Greenwood (R-PA), primary cosponsor of the
House bill HR 3684, noted that in addition to helping the 7 million
Americans with food allergies, S. 741 was extremely important to
another group -- those with celiac disease.  Rep. Fred Upton, of
Michigan, had more personal remarks.  He said, "This bill is very
important to people with Celiac Disease.  My sister-in-law is a celiac.
I know how difficult it is for her, and how careful we must be when she
eats at our house.  And its hard to eat out, when we go to
restaurants."  Rep. Upton told the Chairman, "I will do whatever you
need to get this bill passed on the House floor."

A number of individuals have emailed asking why the House Subcommittee
passed S. 741, and not the version of the Food Allergen Labeling and
Consumer Protection Act, H.R. 3684.

The House version of the allergen bill is not identical to the Senate
bill.  The House bill is strictly an allergen labeling bill.  The
Senate bill has 2 sections, one for animal drugs, and one for food
allergens.  If the House had passed its version of the bill, a
conference would have been required to reconcile the 2 versions of the
bill.  Then additional votes by both the House and Senate would have
been required.  Members did not want to have to go through extra steps
to get the bill completed.  A nice stroke of luck for us!

The majority of emails received asked the question, "What else can we
do to help?"   The best possible thing -- make sure your Representative
knows the importance of this bill to you.  If you have written to your
legislator, check with friends, or family members to see if they have
done so, too.

The House will take a break from June 25 - July 5.   Members will be
back home campaigning.   Catch them at the 4th of July picnic or parade
and ask their support for S. 741.

 Andrea Levario and Allison Herwitt
Co-Chairs, Legislative Project
American Celiac Task Force