From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:27:37 -0400
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Our celiac daughter has been getting intermittent bleeding with her bowels
and it

was slowly getting worse, no fever, but a lot of pain.  It is now almost all
blood and

mucous and has picked up in the last day or so.

The doctor sent a bunch of cultures to be grown, and then gave her Xifaxan
(rifaximin)

200mg tablets and said take them 3 times a day.  This is  an SCD 120 lb.
teenager

who is not eating well, and is on a soft and liquid diet to not stimulate
the problems in her gut.

(broth,soft crumbled hamburger,  juice, mashed soft veggies, cooked fruit,
some vitamins).

A week ago 100mg of Vit K would prevent bleeding for a couple of days; now
it lasts

about 5 hours, gives her a few small clots, and the affect disappears.  Her
blood work at the

ER was good, her hemoglobin and hematocrit high normal (15 and 44).

Has anybody taken this medication and are there any things the package
insert

may have not told me that I should be concerned about?  Vitamins to avoid?
Foods that

conflict with it?  I didn't learn a lot from the product website; it is only
out about 2 yrs.  If it

is the right antibiotic the website says she should improve noticeably
within 48 hours.

Thanks

Paula in Pa

worried Mom