From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:21:03 -0400

Recipies:

Red Enchilada Sauce
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups canned tomatoes
1  8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper
10 drops hot sauce
½ Tbs. plus 1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbs. honey
¼ tsp. cumin

Sauté the onion until translucent.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.

Enchiladas Verdes
Puree in blender/food processor -2 cups "tomtillos" green tomatos,
1 small clove garlic, 8 to 10 sprigs fresh cilantro if available and a tiny piece of Serrano raw green chilie or jalpeño, or no chilie if you don´t like I hot at all and 1 teaspoon alt.
Cook sauce in a teaspoon of oil until it changes color-several minutes. Heat corn totillas by quickly passing through oil and then pass them through the sauce. Fill with shreaded chicken or cheese. Fold/roll and place in baking dish. Makes 8-12 enchiladas, cover with remaining sauce mixed with 1/2cup sour cream(or omit cream). Can top with a layer of cheese, especially if cream was omitted. Bake in toaster, oven/regular oven (Can--microwave, but not as good), until hot and cheese browns, if-used.  Enjoy!

I use the one in Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-Free Gourment Cooks Fast and
Healty" pg 360 with a few adjustments
2 tbsp chili powder (McCormicks is gf)
1 1/2 tsp corn or vegetable oil
1 cup gf chicken broth
1/3 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water

SAUCE:

5-8 peppers (guagillo, New Mexico or California - I think these are dried) seeded.  Boil 5 min in 3 cups  H2O with 4 cloves garlic and cumin.  Boil separately 1 box pomi (or one tom pulp).  (28 oz canned tomatoes or thereabouts).  Blend with small amount peppers for mild, lots for hot.

Brown chili powder in the corn oil over medium heat, sitrring to keep from
scorching, add broth and bring to a boil, add garlic powder and cornstarch dissolved in the cup of water stir constantly to keep this from lumping.
Makes 2 cups - enjoy

I take a tablespoon of Butter, melt it and add 1 tbls. rice flour, make a
paste, add tomato sauce and mexican spices to make enchilada sauce, un
official, but good!

This is what I use, my friend gave it to me years before going gluten free. You can make it hotter if you like with tabasco or something. Enchilada Sauce -  Melt 2 Tbsp. Margarine. Stir in 2 Tbsp. corn starch, Add: 1 1/2 c. water (w/ 2 chicken bullion cubes) or salted broth Season with: 1-2 Tbsp. chili powder garlic salt 1/4 tsp. oregano 1/2 tsp.. cumin.  Bring to a boil.