Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 22:18:01 -0500

First of all, thanks so much for all the responses.

Here are a few responses...

A lot recommended Kinnikinnick.

Sully's Living Without tested Glutino Buns for the BBQ season and here is
what they had to say!  " It's a barbeque dilemma for any gluten intolerant
hamburger or hot dog fan- What to use for the bun? Fortunately Glutino has
stepped up to the grill with truly delicious " I can't believe they are
gluten free!" buns that will rival any of the gluten free variety.  These
corn-based hamburger and hot dog buns don't crumble, and they taste great!
Here is the perfect preparation- Split the bun, grill it lightly and then
fill it with your favorite meat and accompaniments.  Say Sully's Living
Without Sent you and get one free package when you order six packages.
(800) 363-DIET!
www.glutino.com

My daughter likes the Ener-g brown bread hot dog buns...they are relatively
new.  They are quite large so if your son is small you may just want to wrap
it in Ener-g's regular brown bread slice.  This is really the only bread
that is soft enough and takes good without being toasted.1

My son (age 4) has had many types of GF hotdog buns but none work very well.
They are all too dense and after adding ketchup, the hotdog usually comes
sliding out.  Messy :-)  We have tried making our own from Kinnikinnick
quick mix, using their pre-made rolls, and also some from Mr. Ritts bakery
in Philadelphia and Dietary Specialties.  So far, no luck.

Oh - I almost forgot.  We did have good luck making a dog "in a blanket"
with chebe bread mix.  Turned out great and Zacky could actually eat it
altogether.  We just made the bread as directed, wrapped the dog and baked
it until the bread started to get golden (I think around 25 minutes)

I have read that the corn ones from Glutino are good so we may try them
next.

I use two gluten-free Mission corn tortillas (briefly heated in a short
stack in the microwave) for my hot dogs. It tastes great

I made hotdog buns for my son last week and he absolutely loved them.
Kinnikinnick.com sells hot dog and hamburger buns premade. But I used their
Kinnikwik bread mix and make my own fresh baked. All you do is take a cup of
mix, add the 11 oz. milk or water, mix on high for two minutes. I made
little "boat" bun forms out of heavy duty foil, sprayed with Pam, added the
mixture and baked for 15 minutes. They were warm, moist and chewy.

I love the Kinnikwik mix. It is very versatile for dinner rolls (in muffin
pans), hamburger buns (in muffin top pan or other bun form), cinnamon rolls
(add butter, cinnamon and brown sugar to muffin pan first), pizza rolls (add
chopped Hormel pepperoni and GF Mozzarella cheese).

I have tried both Kinnikinnick and Glutino and have not found either to be
satisfactory.

Use chebe bread to make the buns... OUTSTANDING!  you can make a corn dog
type thing too with it... they are www.chebe.com

The only ones we have found that are edible are Kinnikinnick.  The EnerG
ones are not very good in our opinion.   We normally use a corn tortilla and
put it in the microwave for 30 seconds wrapped in a damp paper towel.  Just
nuke it and put your cooked hot dog inside and all the fixins!   Yummy!

Order the Kinnik-kwik Bread and bun mix from www.kinnikinnick.com.  You only
add water!  And you can make as little as one bun at a time with the
instructions on the package.  It's the only thing we use for hot dogs and
hamburgers - very soft, like "real" buns.  Buy the cheap biscuit rings
and bend them into hotdog shapes.

Glutino has great g-f buns! They received rave reviews in the summer issue
of Sully's Living Without.

 I order hotdog buns (also hamburger buns) from Kinnikinnick.   I freeze
them immediately after receiving them andthen take out one or two at a time.
I've found that if I defrost them in
the microwave and then cut them and toast them slightly (on the grill,
preferably) they turn out pretty good.  They satisfied my intense longing
for a "regular" hotdog the first time I tried them and I have used them ever
since.  I have also cut them in two and put each half in the toaster, but
then you have to hold on to the hot dog cause you have nothing to lay it in.
Not as good as the "real thing", but as close as we can probably get.

You  CAN make your own their are shapes to buy that  one can make hamburger
and hotdog buns

I make the French Bread recipe in Naturally Gluten Free Cooking by
DebraSmith.  I have some skinny French bread pans, and I just place enough
dough in each to be the length of a hot dog bun.  These are really good,
they hold together, and they are fresh for a few days.

Our son has been absolutely thrilled with the buns from Kinnikinick as well
as the ones made by Glutino! As a matter of fact, Kinnickinick also makes
donuts, which he swears are as good as the ones he used to eat prior to
becoming ill.

I've bought Kinnicknick HD buns but they fall apart badly. They're also
expensive and don't hold up well in the freezer. Sooo, now I make them out
of Chebe bread. In fact, I make everything out of chebe bread. We have an
old-fashioned hamburger place near here. Wonderful place. I used to have, in
effect, a hamburger salad because I'd just mix up the lettuce, tomato, etc.,
with the burger. It still tasted good. But now I take my own chebe bread
hamburger bun & is it ever good!!!

I just got some for my 7-year-old son from Kinnikinnick in Canada. They were
really good, kind of cozy like a potato roll. I'm not celiac, but they were
even good to me, especially if you wanted to grill it first. I just started
trying their products and they're all amazingly good. My son's had his first
bagels (the N.Y. style) and donuts. Their pizza crusts are great. Even my
non-celiac daughter must have them. I get the 7" individual size. It's best
to ship a lot at once from them because they charge a flat fee for shipping.
It's really worth it. They also have great cookies. We all loved the
moccachino and lemon-cranberry. They're on the internet, but I got their
product sheet in the mail, which is easier to digest!
Lila - ND