From:
herl jennifer l <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:26:50 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, Karyn Walker wrote:

> I have been diagnosed with celiac since Dec 94. I have been on a GF diet ever
> since.  I have experienced a weight gain.  I, however, am not a typical
> celiac.  I had constipation not diarrhea hence, I had no initial weight loss
> and am concerned about the weight gain.  I also work out religiously lifting
> weights and some kind of aerobics 5-6 days per week.  I have had problems all
> along, even before being diagnosed, of not gaining muscle and not being able
> to lose body fat.  I am interested in hearing from any one that has also had
> this problem or has suggestions.  I am concerned that my work outs are not
> doing more harm than good.  I enjoy working out but it is very depressing to
> know that it is not really accomplishing anything physically.  I am still
> having problems lately with severe headaches, tiredness and a few other minor
> symptoms.

Given the weight training and aerobic exercise, your weight gain _could_ be
due to increased muscle.  Muscle tissue is more dense than fatty tissue,
so, given equal volumes, muscle weighs more.  Do your clothes fit
differently now?  Have you had your body fat compostion tested?  If
you're going to a gym for your workouts, they can probably do that there.

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
[log in to unmask]         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)