From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:16:32 -0700

Hi all -
While on a trip to Washington DC, we stayed in Vienna, VA (a DC
suburb) for a week and found a restaurant nearby that has excellent
gluten free pancakes.  As far as I can tell, it isn't listed in any
of the lists of restaurants that are gluten free that I could find
for support groups in the area, so I thought I would let you know
about it.

It is called The Original Pancake House.  The one we went to was at
370 West Broad Road, Falls Church, VA.  They also have restaurants in
Bethesda and Rockville, Maryland.   (I can provide you with the
addresses and phone numbers if you want them.)  They serve their GF
pancakes on special plates so you know right away that they are GF
(and they can keep the GF orders separated from the non GF orders),
make them in several different ways (with chocolate chips or various
fruit) and substitute them at no extra charge for other combination
plates on the menu that call for regular pancakes.  I really
appreciated the no extra charge for substitution.

And they were delicious -- not at all cake-like or crumbly -- just
like real pancakes!!  They were the best I have had since going GF in
2003.

We stumbled across the restaurant while looking for somewhere to have
breakfast, and noticed a sign in their window that said, "Ask about
our gluten free pancakes."  They were listed on the printed menu --
not a special or temporary menu item-- so I think they are committed
to having them available.  However in the three times we ate there,
we were the only persons in the restaurant eating them (on the
special plates).

If you are very sensitive to gluten, ask about their practices and
verify flour content.  My husband and I are asymptomatic and so would
not react if the pancakes contained gluten contamination.

Jackie in AZ