From:
Tim Jesson - Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:33:05 -0500

I am posting this to the list, because I want to make sure nobody reading
the previous post limits their iodine intake without understanding this
issue.

I don't have DH, just CD, so I don't know why DH people are supposed to
avoid iodine.

I would caution you, that I actually take kelp pills, for the iodine,
because it helps the thyroid, and I have a thyroid disease (Hashimoto's)
which causes the thyroid to underproduce. Iodine is the raw material that
your thyroid uses to produce thyroxin, which is essential to regulate your
overall metabolic rate. There is a linkage, and a fairly strong one I have
heard, between thyroid problems and CD/DH. If you are going to limit your
iodine intake, make sure your doctor has confirmed that you are not one of
the people that has to worry about your thyroid.

Sea Salt does not contain any signigficant level of iodine. Iodine is
typically added to table salt (in North America anyway), specifically to
help with thyroid problems. In some third world countries, many people have
low (underperforming) thyroids, because of malnutrition, and insufficient
iodine levels. When their iodine is boosted, their thyroids are fine. When
eating all the right foods, iodine will be included in your diet (things
like brussel sprouts etc.. contain it). Since many people don't eat the
"right" foods anymore, iodine is often left out of the diet, and that is why
table salt has it added. If you want to limit your iodine intake, then use
Sea Salt.

DON'T USE SEA SALT IF YOU HAVE THYROID PROBLEMS (EVEN SUSPECTED), UNLESS YOU
SUPPLEMENT YOUR IODINE IN SOME OTHER WAY.

Hope this helps.