From:
Juanita Ohanian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:33:02 EDT

I contacted the National Starch & Chemical Company's headquarters in N.J.
this morning to find out what is in the glue on envelopes since there has been so
much mixed information about it having gluten in it.

I spoke with several people who all said they use corn starch and tapioca.
They offered to email me this letter.
Juanita

Food Products Division
10 Finderne Avenue
P.O. Box 6500
Bridgewater, New Jersey 08807-0500
908-685-5000

June 15, 2004

WACSSG

Attn:     Juanita Ohanian

Re:  Allergens

Following is information regarding gluten in food and pharmaceutical starches
which we supply and the subject of Celiac disease.

The food and pharmaceutical starch products we supply are refined from dent
corn, waxy corn or tapioca.  Celiac disease is an allergic reaction to certain
amino acids found in the protein of wheat and rye flours (wheat gluten).
Wheat and rye flours have a protein content ranging from 5% to 14%.  The food
starches that we supply typically have a protein content of less than 0.5%.  Most
of the protein content of corn and tapioca is removed in the refining process
and is sold as a by-product.

In addition to the low amount of protein present in corn and tapioca starch,
the types of amino acids are not identical with those found in wheat or rye
flours.  Therefore, they are not associated with Celiac disease.

If you need any further information, please feel free to contact us.

Very truly yours,

John Mitolo
Technical Service Manager
Food Ingredients Group