From:
Pauline Qn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:58:45 -0400

Thank you for being here--you have answered many of my questions over the
last few months.  Now I hope you can answer some more.

THINGS I NEED ANSWERS TO:
Would appreciate hearing from people who have a sore throat as a symptom when
they eat gluten.
Is Prozac gluten free?
Is Levsin gluten free?
I understand untreated celiac disease increases your chance of some forms of
cancer -- what types of cancer?
Would appreciate hearing from people who have had depression lessened by a
gluten free diet.
I'm overweight, could I be Celiac?

MY STORY AND FAMILY HISTORY
I'm sorry this is so long, I feel as if doctors won't take me seriously so
I'm dumping it here -- sorry.  I have many symptoms which seem to be similar
to those I have read about on your service, in books and journals.  I have
seen several doctors over the last 16 years for these various symptoms and
received many different diagnoses.  It is only this year, after a month long
bout of diarrhea, severe bloating and frequent trips to the bathroom DAY AND
NIGHT that I started doing my own research.
It seems there could be a connection between these symptoms -- celiac
disease.

Celiac disease:  I have a cousin diagnosed as having celiac disease.

Gastrointestinal problems:  Ten years of bloating and constipation
alternating with diarrhea.  I also get occasional sharp pains which come from
nowhere and have me doubled over on the floor then stop suddenly.  Three
doctors have told me it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  My sister also has
similar problems and our grandfather suffered all his life with the same
problems-I found a copy of his death certificate this week the cause of death
is listed as "Carcinoma of Gastrointestinal Tract". Is this the type of
cancer that untreated celiac disease increases your chance of?
My doctor prescribed Levsin for the diarrhea.  It did give some initial
relief but the next day the bloating was severe.  Is Levsin gluten free?

Dermatitis:  for 14 years I have had outbreaks (rash, zits) on my chin, round
my nose, on my scalp, and around the hairline on my head.  Sometimes it is
very itchy and it can come and go in a matter of hours. Sometimes it stays
for months.  I have been told it could be an allergic reaction to yeast, blue
die in some tooth pastes, oil in makeup, soap....I have been treated with
many creams and long courses of antibiotics, once when it was very bad the
doctor injected the area with some substance to make the swelling go down.
 Incidentally my mother and sister both have skin problems the doctors can't
seem to cure.

Energy: I sleep more than anyone I know.  This year has been particularly
bad--I feel tired when I get up in the morning and can fall asleep at any
time of the day.  My sister and brother also sleep too much, my mother used
to.  I grew up thinking it was normal to stay in bed until noon!

Depression:  I have had a few bouts with depression and have been prescribed
Prozac for two of these episodes.  I read about some connection between
untreated celiac disease and depression- I would love to hear from anyone who
has experienced this.  Also is Prozac gluten free? There is a family history
of depression.

Migraine--Me, my sister and dad.

In addition my father was diagnosed with arthritis at 50 years of age and
there is a family history of osteoporosis.

But apart from that I'm very healthy!

The reason the doctors feel it is not celiac disease is that I am not
underweight, in fact I am still heavier than I'd like to be.  My 40lb weight
loss was discounted as a symptom of celiac disease, because I was "trying" to
lose weight.  Note: there has never been a time since I was 14 when I wasn't
"trying" to lose weight-this is the only time I have been successful.

I put myself on a gluten free food plan, after a few days the diarrhea and
bloating improved, after a month or so my skin cleared up.  Although I have
not yet noticed a change in my sleeping habits, I think I have more energy
when I am awake!  There has also been an unexpected results which I can't
understand and would appreciate your comments.  The sore throat I have had on
and off for as long as I can remember (more on than off for the last few
months) is gone.  After a few days on a gluten free diet I could feel some
"stuff" clearing from the back of my throat.  I've read nothing about
this and am curious if anyone else has any experience.

Thanks for all your help over the last several weeks

Pauline