From:
Lisa Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:11:22 -0400

My son has been gluten free since May 08.  However, my sons GI Dr. never
told me that gluten may pass through breast milk.  I have been nursing (and
still do) my son because he refuses to wean.  In Feb 09, my son went for his
normal check up with the GI Dr.  He found that my sons liver was very swollen
(ultrasound confirmed 13cm), non-fasting and fasting hypoglycemia, and little
growth. My sons alt/ast were 790 and 1420 (I am not sure which was
alt/ast).My son has not been on the growth charts for height since 18 months.

I started my son on Neonate Jr and EO 28 Splash to help with is absorption of
vits. My son eats a very limited diet due to eosinophilic esophagitis.

About 9 days after starting the supplement, he began to teeth his 2 year
molars, grew one" and 1/2 shoe size.  His stomach also seemed smaller. His
hypoglycemia went away.

The doctor recommended a liver biopsy to figure out what was going on.  The
GI Dr. thought my son may have glycogen storage disease.  Glycogen storage
disease is no a nice disease and it has huge quality of life and length of life
issues.

We had the liver biopsy done on April 3rd.  The GI dr. told us that his liver and
stomach are much smaller and since his hypoglycemia is gone it is probably
just Celiac related liver disease and it will go away as he continues to heal.
The GI Dr. called last week with the biopsy results: scarring on the liver and
its not believed to be celiac disease.  He told me that Celiac Disease may
have high liver enzymes but not the swelling we are seeing.  We are now
scheduling an open liver biopsy at Duke.

Has anyone had a child with liver damage due to celiacs disease?

Also, I notice my sons stomach bloats as the day wears on.  When he wakes
up his stomach is about 21-22 inches around.  At bedtime, it can reach to 25"
around.  He is using the bathroom, so I dont think it is from not going potty.
We are gluten free and dairy very light (only used in Pamelas baking mix).
Does anyone have suggestion as to why he would bloat so bad?

Thank you all for your support and help.

Lisa