From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 09:27:30 +0100

I just returned from Kazakhstan where I stayed healthy and happy - and
gluten-free - for four weeks.  In the city, faced with hotel restaurants,
etc., it was a bit tricky, but for three weeks we lived in a tiny village
of 200 houses, no running water, horse drawn wagons, etc.,  Really
interesting.  The people kept asking if it was like living in the USA in
the 1930's.  In fact, it was probably more like living in the USA in the
1830's!  In the cities it was more like 1930's.

Anyway, I duplicated the Russian language page of celiac forbidden foods,
and gave that to our hostesses, who were doing my cooking, and they were
marvelous.  My husband was working as a volunteer in a buckwheat processing
plant.  One day I had the translator read me the Russian list and was
horrified to find buckwheat on that list.  I am one of those celiacs who
has no problem with buckwheat, (and the list has repeatedly included
scientific evidence that buckwheat should not cause problems for celiacs).
You can imagine the relief for my hosstesses when they learned they COULD
feed me buckwheat.

I was at fault for not reading over the English language list and just
assuming that the JAX book was accurate.  It may be accurate for some
people, - those who are also sensitive to buckwheat - but not for me.

So if you are relying on that book and it's marvelously helpful list of
no-no's, just make sure the list is correct for you.

By the way, our Russian/Kazak hosts and hostesses were the most friendly,
outgoing, loving people we have ever known.  We had a great time and would
return with no hesitation.  Midsummer heat and winter cold (we were on the
Russian border and on the south edge of Siberia) might lead me to limit
travel to spring and fall.  If you get a chance - go, eat borscht and
peeled cucumbers and take a water filter...and sprouting seeds so you have
something green to eat!

In Ithaca, our current song is Spring has spring, the grass is riz - I
wonder where warm weather is...

Gayle Kennedy