From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:13:40 -0700

Thanks for the response to my question about the connection between
gluten-intolerance and Autism.  The general consensus is that there IS a
connection between gluten and casein for the majority of Autistic children,
who do much better on a gluten-free/casein-free (dairy-free) diet, even
though they may or may not be not be diagnosed celiacs.  For more
information than I have included below I can send a response I received from
Don Wiss entitled:  Autism Spectrum and Gluten/Casein Connection.

Thanks Valerie, California

Lee writes:

It has been recognized that many of the autistic syndromes are affected by
diet A doctor from New York State writes:  Autistic children seem to be
especially sensitive to toxic disease of any sort.  A frequent story is of a
child who was a beautiful normal child until he got pneumonia or typhoid
fever or a virus with fever, etc After that he was autistic.  Celiac disease
is a toxic disease and untreated it continues to produce toxins.  To my mind
that is enough reason for a trial period of gf diet in any autistic child

The list of websites is long, indicating to me that the problem of Autism
is more common than we realize.

 Websites:out  http://www.gfcfdiet.com and http://www.andi.com.
 http://www.feingold.org/ and www.onelist.com  and <www.NAET.com>
 http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/ARLtxt and <O.A.S.I.S >?
 http://www.princeton.edu/`serge/11/gfpak.html
 http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/autism/dietinfo.html
 http://members.aol.com/lisa156/index.htm
 [log in to unmask] and http://www.celiac.com/stores.html:
 http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/reichelt.html
 www.autism.com/ari  General info. www.sbakermd.com  Medical info
 http://www.healthboards.com/autism/473.html
 and http://www.healing-arts.org/children/:
 http://www.nowheat.com/text/nomilk/

 Books: , "Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis.".
Tests mentioned:    Bio-Energetic Stress Test.
Treatments suggested: SECRETIN