Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:00:56 -0400

A thank you for each and every one of you for responding.  I am posting all
that was sent to me.  Because of the amount received I am putting it in 2
parts.

"I have a recipe, but its not light & fluffy, its dense, heavy and very
very satisfying, more of a dessert cake.  One slice goes a long way.

Here it is:

Choc-Orange Torte.

1/2 cup G/F Self Raising Flour (which ever is your favourite)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup castor sugar
125g (4 oz) butter/marg
80g (about 2.5 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to moderately slow 160 C (325 F).

Grease a 20cm (8in) round cake tin, line base with baking paper.

Sift flour and cocoa into a bowl, add almonds and make a well in the
centre.

Combine sugar, butter, chocolate, juice and rind in a pan.  Stir over a
low heat until sugar, butter and choc. have dissolved.

Add butter mixture to dry ingredients, stir until combined.  Add egg,
mix well.  Pour mixture into prepared tin.  Bake for 45 minutes or until
skewer comes out clean.

Leave cake in tin for 15 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.
Can be dusted with icing sugar to serve.

Its really not too wicked.

Mmmm, I think I might go and make one now.

If you try it, let me know what you think."

"I've had good luck substituting Hagman's GF blend in a standard spice
cake recipe.   I like to add 1T cocoa in addition to the standard
spices.  It doesn't taste chocolatey, but adds a subtle "something" -
depth, maybe, or richness."

"since you apparently have Hagman's books, I found the "Surprise Chocolate
Cake" pg.71 of her 1st book (The Gluten-Free Gourmet) to be wonderful!!
It was my first attempt after diagnosis -- even my family thought it was
delicious... It sounds complicated, but the lentils (prepared as in
recipe) almost give it a finely-chopped nut-type flavor/texture...
Thought I'd pass it on!!  Good luck...  Dietary Specialties mix is also
very good -- and box has 2 packets (so you can make 1 layer at a time)  -
you may want to try that..."

"My family enjoys this chocolate flourless cake which was posted to the list
a long time ago.

Royal Pecan Chocolate Gateau

1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 Tb. cocoa
4 eggs
1/22 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups pecans (processed into meal)

Place all ingredients in a food processor, process for 30 seconds, scrape
sides and process again for 30 seconds. (I use a blender and process
longer). Pour into greased springform pan (I use a round cake pan) either
8-9 inch, but adjust baking time. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes."

"spice cake

1 c brown rice flour
2/3 c potato starch
1/3 c tapicoa flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1-3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp gropund nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 cups milk(cow,soy,rice or nut)
1-1/2 c brown sugar,packed
1/4 c butter or oleo
1/4 c oil
1/3 c molasses
1 tsp gf vanilla extract
2 large eggs,beaten
cooking spray
coffee 7-minute frosting

Preheat oven 325o.I like using a 9-in sq pan over the 2-9 in round
pan....Line bottom with waxed paper,then spray again.I also think
muffin tins would work better...i loved it!

Sift togher the flours,xanthan gum,baking
soda,salt,ginger,cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves in a large mixing bowl.Combine
milk and brown sugar in heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over med
heat.Remove from heat and add butter,oil,molasses,vanilla.

When butter is melted,add butter and sugar mixture to flour mixture in
mixing bowl and mix until thourghly blended.Add eggs and mix until
blended.Pour batter into pan.Bake for 50 min or until toothpic comes
out clean.Cool cake on pan for 5 min.invert the cake onto a plate to
finish cooling and remove waxed paper.I never made the frosting but
cool whip isa the best"

"Have you ever tried Gluten Free Pantry's Nice 'N Spicy Cake & Gingerbread
Mix?  It is fantastic.  I fooled everyone!  Makes great cupcakes as well."

"I use a brownie recipe and substitute gf flour. Since the volume and
consistency are built by the egg-butter-chocolate mixture, the flour acts as
thickening and not the structure. If you bake it in a 9x13" pan, you will
have more of the fudgey brownie texture. If you substitute an 8" square or
round pan and cook longer you will have more of a cake texture. Watch it
carefully, you want it to be baked long enough to firm it; but if it
overbakes, it will be dry--although then it becomes a great reason to frost
with whipped cream or ice cream."

"I like the chocolate cake from  Authentic Foods.  If you can't find it
locally, I'm sure you can order it.  I think they have a web page, although
I don't know it's address offhand."

"Here is a recipe that I have made without xanthum gum and enjoyed.  It is
soft and stays moist even after being frozen.  You can add 1 teaspoon xanthum
gum and it won't be as crumbly.  You never taste the zucchini!!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
Add:
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2cup buttermilk
In separate bowl mix together:
2 1/2 cup gf flour mix
1/3 cup gf cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture mixing well.

Stir in:
2 cups shredded zucchini
Spoon into greased and floured 9X13 pan or two 8 or 9 inch pans.  Bake at 350
degrees  for 40 or more minutes.  check with cake tester before removing
from oven.

Can put chocolate chips on top of batter before baking.

I have never tried Bette's Hagman recipe for chocolate cake but it does
specify using lentils - not pea or plum puree.  I mention it because a new
member of our group raved about that recipe and said she served it to many of
her friends who thought it was wonderful also.  One of the challenges in
'baking' is the precision required to get good results which isn't usually
necessary in 'cooking'."

"I recently discovered a Colonial Spice Cake Mix from The Really Great Food
Company which was much better than any other recipes or mixes I have tried.
Maybe it was the five eggs!"

"Bette Hagman's first book, The Gluten-Free Gourmet, has a wonderful
recipe for jam cake, which is like a spice cake.  It has great texture and
delicious flavor.  My wheat-eating friends often ask for the recipe.  I've
used a number of different jams, but apricot is my personal favorite."

Here is a great tasting, moist chocolate cake recipe. It was converted from
the original Hershey's chocolate cake recipe that is published in magazines.
Enjoy. I added the penuche frosting recipe.

Jeanette Bigger
Topeka, KS  USA

GF Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cup GF flour mix
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. GF vanilla

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add eggs, milk, oil and
vanilla. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in boiling water. (Batter will
be thin.) Pour into greased and floured 9x13" pan. Bake at 350o for 35-40
minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. For cupcakes,
bake 15-20 minutes.

"Hershey's Chocolate Frosting

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. GF vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating
on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Add
vanilla.

Penuche Frosting

1/2 cup butter or margarine               1/4 cup milk
1 cup packed brown sugar                3 cups sifted powdered sugar

In a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir till
bubbly. Remove from heat. Add milk; beat vigorously till smooth. By hand,
beat in enough of the powdered sugar to make it spreading consistency.
Quickly frost the top of the cake. (Note: may want to make 11/2 of the recipe
for thicker frosting)"

"This is a cake that I changed from a Betty Crocker recipe and it is very good:

GF Applesauce Cake - from Betty Crocker - changed to GF by Barbara Emch

Mix with wire wisk:
2 1/2 cups GF Mix (Bette Hagman)
1 1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or allspice

Cream:
1/2 cup of oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 deg.  Mix dry ingredients with creamed ingredients, beat
well,  and pour into 13 x 9 x 2 pan sprayed with PAM or two 9 inch cake pans
and bake for 60-65 min for oblong and 50-55 for cake pans. Frost with desired
frosting or dust with powdered sugar."

"Here is my favorite chocolate spice cake recipe.  Even people not on the gf
diet have liked this when I make it.  It came from a recipe book I got with
an order of Jowar (sorghum) flour.  I do not know how it would be with other
gf flours.

  2 cups JOWAR flour
  2 cups sugar
  2 tsps. baking powder
  1 tsp soda
  1 tsp cloves (I don't like cloves so use more cinnamon instead)
  1 tsp cinnamon
  1 tsp xanthum gum (or 2 tsp. cornstarch)
  2/3 cup cocoa
  1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  4 eggs
  1 cup shortening, mayonnaise or butter
  1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together until batter is smooth.  Bake in a 13x9x2 pan at
350 F for 40 minutes.

Sometimes I make cupcakes instead.  This is one of my favorite cakes of all
times including my wheat eating days."

Again, many thanks to those that responded and I can't wait to try quite a
few of these.

Simone, NH