From:
lovegrov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:19:55 -0400

I've read at CSA/USA and gfutah and other places that according to the CFR,
"vinegar" as an ingredient must be made from apples. Distilled vineagr can be
made from anything but "vinegar" must be made from apples. Today when I tried
to find this section (supposedly Title 21, Section 525.825, Revised March
1995), I couldn't find it. What prompted this search were e-mails from others
saying that they have checked the source of "vinegar" in some products and
been told it's wood, corn, maybe even wheat.

Does anybody know for certain whether "vinegar" must be made from apples or is
that now no longer true? I do not want to get into the whole distilled vinegar
debate -- I believe that distilled vinegar is GF. But "vinegar" either isn't
distilled or isn't necessarily distilled, it can be fermented. Do I have to
start checking the source of "vinegar" every time now?

Cheers
Richard