From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:39:49 -0700

Hi All--

I found the recipe for the fruit paste those of us who
suffer constipation might want to use! Since printing
e-mails or web pages cuts addresses off the top and
bottom of the page, I can't tell exactly where this
came from, but it appears to be some web site called,
"Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group ____." In the
body of the page, it says, "[from GFCFOAMC group]" I
am desperately hoping I'm not violating a copyright
law by posting this recipe, or offending the author if
he/she is on this list. One person wrote to me with
something she uses, which I didn't think was it at
first, but think it may be after all.

________________________________

Anti-Constipation Fruit Paste
(Dose: 1-2 tablespoons per day for adults)

1 lb prunes
1 lb raisins or pitted dates
1 lb figs
4 oz Senna tea leaves
1 c. GF brown sugar
1 c. lemon juice

Boil 4 cups of water, add to the tea leaves and steep
for five minutes. Strain the tea and pour two cups of
the tea liquid into a large pot, toss the rest. Add
the fruit (except lemon) to this pot and boil for five
minutes.

Remove from heat, add the sugar and lemon juice and
mix. Allow the mixture to cool.

Use mixer, blender or food processor to turn the fruit
mixture into a smooth paste. Spoon into jars or
freezer containers and place in the freezer.

Note: This fruit paste does not freeze solid, but
keeps well indefinitely in the freezer. It can be
spread on toast or used as topping - or if all else
fails, just take like medicine.

______________________________

One person did reply that raisins worked well for her
and that she thought SunMaid (?) were gf.

What I've been doing (and until now it worked great)
was buying jars of Gerber or Heinz 2nd Foods pears and
mixing ground flax seed in. (Heinz is a bit more tart
than Gerber.) The flax seed gives the pear sauce a
wonderful nutty taste and it's a change from apple
sauce. I've saved the jars and use them to put my
margarine and salad dressing in to take to work or to
restaurants. On sale, I've been able to get two jars
of pears for $.79. Maybe not as good as fresh fruit,
but finding good fresh fruit in the grocery stores can
be a challenge and sometimes a waste of money!

Cheers,
Ayn