From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:42:38 EDT

April 3, 2007 - Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group
MEMBER GF COOKING  DEMO

This is always one of our favorite meetings. This year Carrie Stone has
promised some interesting and fun recipes using the newest GF product, GF Beer.
We start the action at 7 PM and it doesn't stop until 9 PM.

Location is the Ferndale High School Home Economics Room.

This is also a great opportunity to browse through and order cookbooks  which
we make available only twice a year. BGIG Members receive a discount on
purchases.

Good food to eat, friends to enjoy time with and lots of people available  to
answer questions about GF cooking. Sounds like a perfect evening!

We hope to see you there.

More information: 360-676-1372

Directions to Ferndale High School: _www.glutenfreeway.info_
(http://www.glutenfreeway.info)

Other BGIG News: Terra Organica at the Bellingham Public Market (1530
Cornwall Ave.) now has GF Oats and Beer!!

Upcoming EVENT:

Gluten Sensitivity and Other Inflammatory Aspects of our Modern World: An
Introduction to 'Anti-Inflammatory Living' Presented by: Dr. Kenneth Fine, MD,
noted gastroenterologist and researcher

WHEN: Monday, April 9th, 2007

TIME: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm

WHERE: St. Luke's Health Education Center, 3333 Squalicum Parkway,
Bellingham, WA

WHO: Everyone interested in his or her health is invited, FREE admission

According to the National Institutes of Health, Celiac Disease is an
autoimmune disorder that is estimated to affect 1 in 133 people living in the  United
States or approximately 1% of the population*.
The only effective way  to manage the disease is to eliminate gluten from
your life. This can be more  difficult than it sounds because gluten is found in
many of the foods people  take for granted. It is an ingredient in most
packaged foods, baked goods and  even such non-food items as playdough, lotions,
detergents and lipsticks.  Unfortunately, a person who is undiagnosed or does not
effectively manage his  condition can develop a variety of potentially
life-threatening conditions.  Celiac Disease and/or gluten sensitivity has been
associated with certain  lymphomas, diabetes, liver dysfunction and a myriad of
other autoimmune and  health disorders.

*Research indicates that a much broader segment of the population suffers
from milder forms of gluten intolerance, which may result in other autoimmune
conditions, inflammation, and a general lack of well being.

BGIG is committed to educating the general public about Celiac Disease and
gluten intolerance, as well as offering support for any one whom is sensitive
or  allergic to wheat. We hope that this presentation will help to develop a
healthier Whatcom County. Please join us for an interesting and educational
evening!

Questions:
Kelle A. Rankin-Sunter - 360-332-7435 or
Caroline Yorkston  - 360-676-1372 or
Tom Malterre, MS, CN of Whole Life Nutrition -  360-752-1774

Information on Celiac Disease/Gluten Sensitivity: _http://www.gluten.net/_
(http://www.gluten.net/)  or _http://www.celiac.com/_ (http://www.celiac.com/)
NIH: Celiac Disease  Awareness Campaign: _http://www.celiac.nih.gov/_
(http://www.celiac.nih.gov/)
Reference  information on Dr. Kenneth Fine
Curriculum Vitae: _https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Frame_Cirrculum.htm_
(https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Frame_Cirrculum.htm)
Professional  Statement: _http://www.intestinalhealth.org/Staff/_
(http://www.intestinalhealth.org/Staff/)