From:
Sue Moller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Moller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:31:09 -0400

So to sum up my replies (below) about my request if Synthroid Thyroid
hormone replacement if it is gluten-free or not, the major consensus is YES,
it is gluten-free.  On the US drug list it now says “can not guarantee that
it is GF”, which is due to suppliers, but is more likely a CYA on part of
the company.  Also the generic  levothyroxine, and others spoke about
Levoxyl, and Armour which all also seem to be gluten free.
Below are the actual responses from US and Canada.  Thanks to all who
replied!
-Sue

USA:

I take Levothroid  (generic) and it is and it is Guten Free.

Abbott synthroid - not the generic  -and my phone calls to them assured me
it was gluten-free - at least the dosage I am on is.

I have taken Levoxyl (synthetic T4) for several years which is gf. Just
recently though it has stopped working (because of mercury and candida in my
system) and my naturopath has changed me to Armour natural thyroid. It's T3
so not as much changing has to take place for my body to use it.  But unless
you have a naturopath for a doctor, they usually won't prescribe Armour -
they always insist on the synthetic Big Pharma versions.

Synthroid does not contain gluten, however the manufacturer will not
guarantee it GF. Levenporoxine (sic?) is one of the generic alternatives to
synthroid and it is GF according to the GF drug website.

I use  levothyroxine and I know it to be safe.

There are choices but synthroid is GF. Been taking for 2 yrs -celiac
numbers are fine.

The generic form of Synthroid, levoxythroine (sp?) is gluten free.

  I take Levothroid, that's the brand name.  It's a natural animal hormone,
Synthroid is synthetic man made.  But I don't think Synthroid contains
gluten either.

I've been taking Synthroid for 30+ years, and have had no problems with it.

Synthroid (the brand name) is SAFE -- andI have it on very good authority --
which would be Dr. Steve Plogsted, who does the glutenfreedrugs.com website
(and is also a doctor of pharmacology at a major children's hospital).
 While his website states that the manufacturer can no longer "guarantee"
the drug to be gluten free, he feels very strongly that they are just
covering their a** with legalese.  He is confident that this drug is safe
and GF.  From a personal standpoint, it's very important to me, because I've
tried various generic versions of this drug -- and cannot get the consistent
dosage that I get with Synthroid, which is really critical for me.

Why not use a generic, like Levoxyl, which is definitely gluten-free and a
well established equal to Synthroid. The only problem is that when you start
with one brand  of medication, you're supposed to stick with that brand.
I've been on Levoxyl for nearly 15 years. Your drug company will be much
happier with you using a generic, and it's easier on your pocketbook.

I take Levoxyl, manufactured generically by SAND.  It is safe but I always
have to check that it is the correct manufacturer.

Natural thyroid hormone is Gluten free. Write to Dr Guy Dasilva of Dasilva
Institute.  He has put me on this hormone and I feel so much better.

Yes,Armour is gf, and at this time the Levoxothyrine(sp?) Manufactured by
Mylan is gf. It matters who manufactures it is why i specified Mylan for
manufactuing.

Where did you "hear" that Synthroid contains gluten?  My daughter has been
taking it for at least 3 or 4 years now and she was diagnosed with celiac
disease 12 years ago.Her Lovothyroxin does not contain gluten as far as I
know and she will probably be taking it her whole life so I truly hope that
my information is correct. These days it's pretty easy to google the name of
the drug and the manufacturer on line.  If you don't get the info you are
seeking there, just call the drug company and ask for the information or
have your pharmacist do it.

I suspect you've been misinformed.  I've taken both synthroid and one of the
generics; my understanding is that both are GF.  In any case, my celiac
antibody levels are very low on my current regime, which includes daily
thyroid meds.

Synthroid is safe.  I've been taking it for about 3 years.
I've been taking synthroid for a couple of years.  It is gluten free :)

CANADA:

Synthroid does NOT contain gluten.  I have no idea where people get these
ideas from.  It is a gluten free medication.  I have been on it for 10
years.  My pharmacist checked it and I am taking the brand name.  The
manufacturer is a gluten free manufacturer.  This subject was on this list
within the last 2 months but the person did not post a summary yet which I
wish they would do.  While on www.glutenfreedrugs.com  it says cannot
guarantee GF status which when the last lady asked about it I phoned my
pharmacist and she looked in the PDR *for Canada* and there has been no
notice of it containing gluten, it is still listed as gluten free and she
confirmed with the manufacturer that it is gluten free.

From the prescribing information on the internet from the drug company that
makes it, Abbott Global whose website is here:
http://www.synthroid.com/index.cfm

Inactive Ingredients: acacia, confectioners’ sugar (contains corn starch),
lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, providone, and talc.  Then there
are dyes added per the strength you are prescribed.  Here in the full
prescribing information: http://www.rxabbott.com/pdf/Synthroid.pdf

I believe in the US they have a book like we have in Canada which is a
Physicians’ Desk Reference Guide at Pharmacies and doctors offices that list
all the gluten free drug manufacturers along with all the drugs that can be
prescribed and their active, inactive ingredients - basically what is in the
prescribing information in the huge book.

It seems that Abbot Pharmaceuticals is based in the USA however I just
phoned my pharmacy and he said that Synthroid is made in Puerto Rico, which
is part of the US and has Abbott Labs there.  So we get our Synthroid from
there which I would deduct would be the US source too.  However he got that
off the computer attached to my pharmacy record but he needs to look at the
GF part up in the PDR book and see if Abbott is listed and he is going to
call me back about that.

It definitely says in the book under the strength of Synthroid that I am on
.1 mcg after the inactive ingredients that it is gluten free.  It says the
same statement under the other doses such as .075mcg too. The book she
looked it up in is called: *CPS*: Compendium of Pharmaceuticals &
Specialties 2010. And this is what it looks like except it says 2010 on the
front cover - I now see that it applies to Canadian Pharmacies so that is
probably why you do not see it in the USA!  You would think that pharmacies
in the USA would have something similar though.
http://www.amazon.ca/CPS-Compendium-Pharmaceuticals-Specialties-English/dp/1894402413

*******
*******