Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:01:26 -0500

  A quick bit of background: Over a year and a half ago, I
was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue. Recently, I was diagnosed with
Autoimmune Hepatitis, which is NOT caused by, but is related to,
Celiac Sprue in that they are both Autoimmune diseases. As part of my
treatment for Autoimmune Hepatitis, I've been on Prednisone. During
that time, I started experiencing some symptoms of having ingested
some gluten. It took some research and the help of a pharmacist who
was willing to do a bit of digging, but here's what my wife and I
learned and thought we should share with you.
If you're concerned about gluten and Prednisone, the company called
Roxane states that their version of Prednisone is, in fact,
gluten-free. This is widely carried by the Osco drug stores and in
some cases may be their "generic" Prednisone. The other big maker, is
Danbury which does NOT claim to be gluten-free. You can check your
prescription bottle and you should see an abbreviation for either
Danbury (Dan Dan) or Roxane (Rox). Your pharmacist will know which
manufacturer they carry.
As with anything else you read on the Internet, please use this
information to check with your own doctor before you make any decision
regarding your own situation.
Hope this helps,
Steve