Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 00:33:00 UTC

Okay, okay, don't get your CAPS key locked. I'm just kidding. I normally
have a twisted sense of humor and recent events have put a few extra knots
in it.

Here's the joke of a lifetime: Why is celiac disease like insanity? It's
genetic: you get it from your kids.

Seriously, now. My nearly 2-year-old son is probably a celiac and with the
help of this list we've been going gluten-free. We've decided for
simplicity's sake to make the whole household GF, and so I've had a reduced
gluten diet lately (though I still eat lunch out at work).

Suddenly, I found myself with withdrawal symptoms (headache so intense I
feel nauseated, lasting for days...) which I associate with not getting my
"maintenance dose" of coffee each morning. (I've always been food and drug
sensitive, you see.) But I didn't miss my coffee...what else was I lacking?
Wheat!

So I reduced my wheat intake to one good dose a day and sure enough,
symptoms started popping out all over. Nausea and a dragged-down feeling
after each wheat eating meal (lasting several hours) followed by diarrhea
(lasting several more hours).

Now, three days gluten free, I feel fine.

Gosh darn it folks! I've been participating in this list for a couple of
months now, at one remove. I worked on the celiac FAQ for =your= sakes;
I've gone gluten-free for my son's sake. But now I've "caught" the disease.
I mean, it really =feels= contagious. Or like it's a "meme" (a thought
virus) that I got through just learning about the disease.

I am upset. I am angry. Did anyone else feel that way when they got
diagnosed?

I mean, I =love= food. Whole wheat bread. Fresh pasta. Cinnamon swirls from
Harry & David. I'll learn to live with this but I'm not happy.

Sorry to rant. (I think I'm in shock.)

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX