From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:39:44 -0500

Following is a summary of the responses I received to a question asked by a
support group member about whether fecal testing of the type marketed by Dr.
Fine/Enterolab has been validated by publication in a peer reviewed journal.

The answer is no.

As a retired research scientist, I place high value on the peer review
process. In short, when a research paper is submitted to a journal, it is
sent to a panel of, presumably unbiased, experts in the field for review.
This is often an interactive process where results, methodologies,
statistical techniques, etc. are reviewed and questioned - sometimes
challenged - often tested for reproducibility before the paper is accepted
for publication. It is valuable because it mostly eliminates junk science.
(Some may remember, however, the 1989 publication of a paper by Fleishman
and Ponds claiming a laboratory demonstration of cold fusion that has never
been reproduced.)

Unless and until, the science behind stool testing is published in an
accredited, peer reviewed journal, I will advise our support group members
to follow the advice afforded by several respondents to "Save your money".

Thanks to all the respondents.

Joel

------

Good topic. Dr. Fine's work has never been peer reviewed and is considered
fringe medicine by the mainstream medical community.

I advise saving your money.

------

I am very, very interested in what you find out.  I have all the clinical
symptoms of celiac disease but the triple blood screen turned up negative.
My husband is a pathologist and he also wants peer reviewed data. We
contacted  Dr Fine who said that he is working on his peer reviewed article.

I quote from his email to me:
"My peer reviewed article is being written. see http://www.enterolab.com/CV
for the rest

also see lecture and essay links at http://www.enterolab.com

I would be honored to serve you.

Yours sincerely,
Kenneth Fine, M.D.
Director, EnteroLab Reference Laboratory"

My husband has done a brief literature review and has so far only found one
published article that seems to indicate that fecal testing may have better
sensitivity.  However, it appears that it may have specificity problems.
This article didn't refer to Dr Fine's test.

------

Our support group hosted a lecture by Dr. Alessio Fasano (University of
Maryland Center for Celiac Research) a couple of weeks ago.  In that talk,
someone asked him about the stool tests, and he said that they were not
generally recognized as other researchers have not been able to replicate
the results. (or at least that's what I thought he said)

Now, I have no idea if this is true or if he has another agenda, but that's
what he said.  From that, I would 'suspect' that the data you seek is not
published.

------

Dr. Fine has patented his testing procedure which makes it impossible for
peer review.  When he spoke in Milwaukee, he said one of our local doctors
was a classmate of his mentor in Texas.  His testing was based on work that
was done when they were studying in Europe in the 1950s or so.

It sounded like GI tracts were flushed with several gallons on water in an
attempt to isolate clues.  I believe the doctors studied in Austria so any
information on file from that time would probably be in German.

------

My understanding is that there have been no peer reviews or validating tests
in other labs.

If you talk to physicians and researchers at the major celiac centers this
is the reason why they are not enthusiastic about Dr. Fine's test.

That said, talk to a celiac who has been diagnosed by Dr. Fine.  Typically
they have been sick for years and ignored by conventional medical
approaches.  After being diagnosed celiac by Dr. Fine, they got healthy on
the GF diet.  This group thinks Dr. Fine is a god and his tests a life
savior.

So, sad to say the best information you can get is anecdotal.

------

Dr. Fine has not published Enterolab results in peer review journals. I hear
that something will be published soon.

You asked for no anectdotal information but that is all you will get right
now. So here is my 2 cents worth. The Enterolab results were enough evidence
for me and my son to go gluten free and get positive changes in our health.
My doctor has accepted the Enterolab tests as evidence of my need to be on a
GF diet for life.

------