From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:26:42 -0700

My thanks to all of you for your informative responses.  Many of you
felt it was not necessary to be concerned about skin/hair care products
since I don't have DH.  Some felt it was good to error on the side of
caution with the limited research.  Here are a few responses that I
found very helpful.

Much Thanks,
Jill/Texas
(newly diagnosed GI)

"Soap:  castile type soap is what you want to ask for then read the
label and make sure there are no additives OIL OR LOTION:  SAFFLOWER
Cooking Oil is perfect and does not seem to irritate the skin.When I buy
make up I look at the ingredients list and make sure the make up has
left out things like titanium."

"I have heard do not use products with vitamine E, as the Although Dr.
Zone (wrote an article in a newsletter called Gluten Free Living) claims
that the molecules in gluten are to large to enter the system through
the skin (except those with DH), newly diagnosed celiacs may want to
take extra precaution in the beginning with gluten containing items.Some
words you may see on a label could be wheat germ, wheat oil (usually in
hair shampoo) and oat gum (sometimes found in make-up).

Here are a few starters: Lubriderm hand cream (all varieties), Vaseline
Intensive Care (all except Sensitive Skin Lotion), Colgate Dental
products (all varieties), Sensydine (regular), Ultra Brite (baking soda
toothpaste), Deordorant suggestion is Lady Speed Stick (deordorants/anti-
perspirants), soaps - Cashmere Bouquet (bar), Irish Spring (bar soaps),
Palmolive (bar) and for sunscreens: Banana Boat sunscreens and tanning
products (all)."

"Ivory soap is GF, also all the Finess products."

"In the last issue of the Gluten Intolerance Group newsletter (Seattle
based org) the information stated things on the skin/hair no longer have
to be of concern.  The only things were if they would be ingested - like
lipstick - the expensive ones usually have wheat germ.  Or putting Aveno
on your hands and then eating food. "

"vaseline intensive care hand lotions are GF. Also their lip balm is GF"

"DH is systemic - it comes from within the body. Lotions, shampoos, hair
sprays may be taken into the body via the skin - then eventually cause a
problem on the skin, but not necessarily in the same place where the
gluten entered.  Many physicians and most people do not realize that one
can absorb any poison thru the skin - and many things that are not
poison.  Estrogen patches are a good example."

"Most support groups seem to think that you need to ingest it to have it
cause a problem.  I just check on products that go on or very near my
mouth."

"One common culprit ingredient to look for in soaps, shampoos, etc. is
"hydrolized protein"--it's ok if it's from corn or soy, but often it's
from wheat. ...Pantene products, but I always check the label of all
formulas...Hairspray that is gf is the Suave Herbal Care, Extra Hold
with Passion Flower (light green can)....Lotions that are gf: Eucerin,
Neutragena sensitive skin (possibly other formulas), Cetaphil.  For
soap, I've been using the Oil of Olay body wash--but you might check the
label on all formulas."

"We don't use any special products except for toothepaste we use Tom's
of Maine.  We do avoid obvious things that say "wheat protein" or "wheat
germ.  The CSA also says that gluten is not absorbed through the skin."

"Although Dr. Zone (wrote an article in a newsletter called Gluten Free
Living) claims that the molecules in gluten are to large to enter the
system through the skin (except those with DH), newly diagnosed celiacs
may want to take extra precaution in the beginning with gluten
containing items.  Some words you may see on a label could be wheat
germ, wheat oil (usually in hair shampoo) and oat gum (sometimes found
in make-up).Here are a few starters: Lubriderm hand cream (all
varieties), Vaseline Intensive Care (all except Sensitive Skin Lotion),
Colgate Dental products (all varieties), Sensydine (regular), Ultra
Brite (baking soda toothpaste), Deordorant suggestion is Lady Speed
Stick (deordorants/anti-perspirants), soaps - Cashmere Bouquet (bar),
Irish Spring (bar soaps), Palmolive (bar) and for sunscreens: Banana
Boat sunscreens and tanning products (all)."

"watch out for any that contain Vit E....Tom's of Maine products are
safe as are most of Vidal Sassoon. He's right...you can get serious
rashes from non=gf products.  I checked on hair dyes and found that the
companies are saying that they cannot guarantee the safety of their products."

"Neutrogena Clean shampoo and conditioner are both gluten free.  My
daughter uses these."

"Do not use any lotion/soap with wheat germ oil; also
be suspicious of Vitamin E additives as they can be
wheat germ oil based.  I've had luck with castile
soaps - they are made from olive or coconut oils.

Kirk's CoCo Castile soap (cake form) can be purchased in grocery stores
and drugstores for $0.69 - $0.89 / cake.  Drugstores may also carry
castile shampoos depending on your geographic location (big cities offer
more choices.)Develop a working relationship with a reputable and
knowledgeable health food store - they can special order items for you
at little or no extra charge and this gives you a wider selection than
groceries.Avoid Cover Girl makeup in particular - they use oat flour and
oats can be contaminated by other grains. Check labels on other
cosmetics.  Most are pretty straight forward regarding contents (FDA
requires this.)"