From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:01:31 -0500

One of our local support group members called me today to ask about the
Benefiber label. Her husband has been taking it for some time, and today
when she got home from the store with a new bottle she reread the
ingredients and was surprised to read that it contained maltodextrin made
from wheat.  Then down below it says gluten-free.  She was confused, and
called the 800 number to ask about this.  They told her it was considered
gluten-free because it only had 10ppm.

Then she called me to ask if I had any further information on it.  After
Googling Benefiber and gluten, I went to several websites and all that I
looked at said that Benefiber was gluten free.  I am wondering if the
ingredients have always been the same, but they are attempting to be more
truthful about the labeling.

If something came along on this list previously, I didn't notice it.  Can
any of you shed any light on whether Benefiber is safe for a celiac to take
on a daily basis?

Thanks,
Anne Barfield
San Antonio, Texas