From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:04:16 -0600

Thank you all for the suggestions/options.  Due to the number responses I did receive
I will summarize in perhaps two or three emails.  A few were quite lengthy and my
thinking is to simply forward the contents in a separate email.

Suggestions/options as follows.

2 cups diced onion
2 cups mushrooms (slice then if large cut in half or thirds) dried parsley Imagine's
No chicken chicken broth (4 cups liquid)
2-3 cups rice

The amount of rice depends on type with short grained rice tending to be more moist
and your preference in how dry you like your rice. I usually use Mahatma long grain
brown rice and sometimes I will mix that with wild rice, Lundburg's wahini rice, etc.
I found a red rice at the local asian store and will try that the next time I make
rice.

Remember that rice can be made in a larger batch and keep for a few days in the
refrigerator or even frozen.

Try using "smoked salt" (check internet for sources) in addition to cayenne/other
spices.  Smoked salt is excellent for meats.

I have a mexican Chicken recipe that the 'extras' go well with the rice,,,,,,here is
the recipe.  The vegetables,etc make a nice 'seasoning' for the rice.

Mexican Baked chicken

6-8 Chicken Breasts put in lightly buttered 9x13 dish,,spriinkle with salt.

Cook:  In 1 TBL oil--1 red(purple) onion slivered, 1 each of green,yellow,red peppers
cut into thin strips

Stir In:  1c Salsa sauce.  ( I have used Kramers med which I have found at WalMart,
or Butchers Med Salsa which I find at either HYVee/Fareway where we live)  1t Chili
powder( I have used a gluten free Pantry Cajun Spice.  I also 'dump' more than a 't'
of seasoning,,too.
cook for a minute or two to 'heat through'
Spoon the mixture over the chicken,,,,,and cover tightly

(It doesn't call for it,,,but I have added 1 can Libbys Black organic Beans,too.)
also, one small can of crushed pineapple.  Pineapple is suppose to help with 'gas'.

Cook:  350 degrees for 1/2 hr.  Take out and remove cover  Sprinkle cheddar or
Montery Jack cheese 1c over chicken.  PUt back in overn for 5 min to melt cheese.  Or
if serving,,,,just let it set with the cheese,,,it will melt while sitting.

I use Lundbergs Brown rice (any of the varieties) cook per directions and serve the
rice and put the chicken breast on top and the 'goodies/extras' on top of that.

I like to cook rice in the broth from the chicken I am cooking.  I use Lawry's,
garlic powder and onion powder to season the chicken, so that is what inevitably
flavors the rice as well.

Rice is also good with fruit and a little sugar.  We like rice with cinnamon and
raisins and brown sugar or with blueberries and a hint of white sugar.

I like adding salsa to rice.  I also like it rice with butter and something called
"Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt".  Below is my favorite rice recipe.  I make this
casserole and then after it cools in the pan I cut it into squares and freeze to use
for taking to work for lunch.  It is delicious!

Emily in PA

Spinach Rice Casserole

4 C cooked rice OR scant 2 C raw cooked in 3 C water 10oz raw chopped spinach (I use
frozen chopped spinach - defrost & pat dry)
1/2 C chopped onion
3 T butter
4 beaten eggs
1 C milk
1 1/4 C grated cheddar cheese
1 T chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
paprika sprinkled on top

In large frying pan, sauté onions with salt in butter until soft or golden, as
preferred Add spinach Cook 2 minutes covered (I don't cover mine) Combine all
ingredients except paprika Grease cake pan or casserole Spread out with spatula
Sprinkle with paprika Bake covered (I don't cover mine) for 35 minutes at 350F

Variations:
Add tuna or chicken breasts (previously cooked and cut up) or switch to mozzarella
cheese.

I like to melt a slice of cheese on my rice!

I sometimes add lemon pepper to it (after cooking).   I also like just lemon  (I use
TrueLemon powder crysals).  Sometimes I make the rice into a dessert by adding a
little butter, cinnamon and Splenda for sweetening.  It's kind of like rice pudding
without the pudding.