From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:12:51 -0700

Hi all.  I wrote about two weeks ago about green olives with pimentos.
Many people wrote asking for what I learn, and some people wrote with
suggestions.  In fact, some people questioned my need to check on the GF
status of olives, since they're a fruit and therefore are "obviously"
gluten-free.  The way products are packaged is often suspect, however,
and there are some ingredients that don't need to be on the label for
various reasons, so I encourage everyone to check things with the
company before consuming them.

These brands were recommended to me by other List members.  I have not
personally checked these brands with their manufacturers:

Lindsday Queen Green Olives
Reese
Mario
Unico stuffed manzanilla olives
Aylmer
Club House
Coronation Brand
Liberty
Primo

I talked to Michael Diaz at Star Fine Foods about their olives.  He wanted to
research the gluten status of their olives very thoroughly and that is why
it's taken me so long to respond.  He talked to the growers of the olives
in Spain!  These olives are the ones that are most available to me and
therefore I wanted to ask the company about them.  I just heard from him this
morning that there are no gluten-containing products used in the production or
packaging of these olives.  The growers said that the only way gluten could
get into these olives is to by happenstance blow by from a field and stick to
the olives.  They considered this very unlikely.

Have fun eating olives!

-Christie in Chandler, AZ