From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 03:32:56 -0400

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who helped me understand what lectins are.

Dr. Peter D'adama has written a book called Eat Right for Your Type
which talks about lectins. He says lectins react favorably or
unfavorably depending on blood type. I am type A and the lectins in
tomatoes, potatoes, bananas do not react favorably with the blood type A
system while the soybean lectin is very good for Type A's, although not
necessarily good for other blood types. He has organized all the
different food categories by blood type so that certain foods are
beneficial, neutral or negative for each blood type. I have found that
combining the celiac diet with the foods recommended by D'Adamo for Type
A to be very helpful for me. I just couldn't feel totally well until I
eliminated the foods D'adamo says to avoid as well as the gluten
containing ones.

******************

You might like to check out a book called EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE by Dr.
Peter D'Adamo. His book is based on the theory that people with
different blood types (A, B, AB, O) react differently to the lectins in
food. He says

"Lectins [are] abundant and diverse proteins found in foods." And
"lectins are widely abundant in legumes, seafood, grains, and
vegetables."

In other words, most foods contain lectins, but lectins vary in type and
also vary in effect on the body according one's blood type. Chapter 2 in
this book is a good brief overview of what lectins are; the rest of the
book is about which foods you should eat or avoid because of the type of
lectins they contain. I would guess that if celiacs are lectin
intolerant it is only to certain types of lectin, since most foods
contain lectins of one type or another. In fact, the article you read
may have been referring specifically to the lectin in wheat, as the
lectin in wheat is gluten. Dr. D'Adamo says "gluten, the most common
lectin found in wheat and other grains, binds to the lining of the small
intestine, causing substantial inflammation and painful irritation in
some blood types."

  Tareq Al-Ati [log in to unmask]

Additional references available