From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:49:21 -0500

This is the second part to the Therapy/Excersize question I asked a while ago.

Thanks again to all who answered.  Encouraging,,,,,,yes,,,overwhelming,,,,,,yes,,,,until I get 'something that works for me/us.'

I will give general answers unless someone would like something more specific.

Again, I was very thrilled to hear about the suggestion of using the 'plug in' cooler for taking food.

A lot of suggestions to ask for a refrigerator in the hotel room. Look for hotels with kitchenettes. Also, I read somewhere it is easier to get a condo when traveling, or go camping with an RV/camper as then you can make your own food.

Watch the time you call/go to a resturant to talk to the wait staff/chef.  Do not go on a Sat night with GF pasta/assertiveness, and expect good accomidations.  It won't happen,,,it is too busy.  Go or call on the 'off times' or call ahead a few days in advance.  I would be the type to 'check and re-check!'  If you want some good insight to just how much information needs to get out to educate people,,,,,go to the following http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages and find the 'humor part'! A real eye opener!

There was a neat email that was forwarded to me which is in the archives, of "Kitchen in a Suitcase" and "Travel in a Bag".  That was a big help!  Different support groups have different membership packet information.  Just a thought. Expensive but I am finding neat things.

Also, a lot of people stated, that it is 'ok' to be assertive,,,,,,and we have to be extremely specific when talking to staff in a resturant,,,,,,and if they are not helpful, leave, and,,,go until you find a place that is helpful.

There were a lot that said they did not go out,,,,because of the risk of cross contamination,,,,and getting sick.

Be sure and check to make sure the meat is not marinated. Watch for the croutons in salads.  Some wait staff can get 'lazy' or not take you seriously.  Again refer to the previous mentioned web site.  And take your own rolls/bread/crackers etc to eat with the food you do get.

I had an interesting experience with some friends that come in from out of state, this last weekend. And I thanked them for being willing to go to the 'one' resturant, Chinese, that I felt comfortable going to.  "Well, we aren't going for the food,"  She said.  A light bulb went off for me,,,1) I was very upset, she did not understand at all what my 'situation was.' 2) Celiacs lives are at 'risk' to 'just go out to eat anywhere!"
However, I did realize by that statement, that,,,to stay healthy, food is our 'focus!'  It has to be.  To avoid Gluten, wheat, rye, oats, etc, is our 'medication' for this disease!!!!! Some could even say we become 'hermits!'  I know I feel better eating at home! Safer, I guess.

www.goodhealthpublishing.com was a suggestion to go to for a guide to 50 national/regional resturants and their lists of gluten/wheat free menus.

It was interesting that some do and some do not take resturant cards.  There were some who traveled abroad/Europe to find more help/understanding in another country than right here! Also, it was suggested to 'read up' on the country before going there, as well.

A lot of people suggested Outback to eat.  They have a GF menu.  I wish we had one in town!

Also, some stated that by requesting a specific entre' they found their food to be better than what was on the menu!!

Thanks again to all who answered. Diane Iowa