From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:59:18 -0700

When I first became aware that I suffered from Celiac disease it was after
years of being sick and not knowing why.  Years that I was told I was a
hysterical nut case hypochondriac (God I hate that word).

About a year ago I came across St John's Celiac list when my father-in-law
was being tested for Celiac disease.  Reading the information posted on the
web I realized I was reading about myself.  So I went on the diet with my
father-in-law.  The celiac diet was a shock to me, as I was totally and
completely addicted to wheat containing products.  (Even though they were
killing me.)

Over the past year I've slowly come to the realization that this disease has
been a blessing in disguise.  It forced me to take responsibility for my
life and health.  Forced me to realize there are no magic bullets or cures.

Forced me to realize I could actually enjoy eating things which made me
healthy.  Forced me to eat to live ... not live to eat, blindly, as I had in
the past.

I don't miss bread ...
or the explosive diarrhea it caused.

I don't miss Pizza Hut Pizza ...
or the loud gas attacks, diarrhea, and fuzzy headedness that occurred after
eating it.
I now bake my own gluten free, lactose free, deep dish pizza.

I don't miss Chinese take out ...
or the trips to the hospital afterwards for high blood pressure and rapid
heart beat.
I came up with my own gluten free - soy free teriyaki sauce

I don't miss Twinkies ...
or feeling bad all afternoon after eating it.

I don't miss feeling sick, bloated, tired, shaky, afraid, confused, weak, or
crazy.

Mostly, I don't miss the humiliation of having suffered all of the above for
my entire life, and being told these symptoms were all in my head!

I'm healthier now than I've ever been in my life.  I no longer suffer from
chronic gas and diarrhea.  I can eat out without worrying that I'll have to
rush straight home and head for the bathroom.  My asthma has all but
stopped.  I no longer need to take four tranquilizers a day to function.  I
haven't had a single visit to the emergency room for irregular and rapid
heart rate the entire time I've been gluten free (now that's amazing!).  I
don't need to take two hour naps in the afternoon.  I can go for walks
without passing out.  I'M ALIVE!!!!

Thank God for St John's Celiac list.  You guys gave me the tools to build a
healthy life.  I for one plan on doing what ever it takes to stay this
healthy.  If that means no more gluten, soy or dairy for the rest of my life
... so be it.  I could get used to feeling good.