From:
Linda Lettko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Lettko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:11:41 -0500

Thanks you for all the responses.  Most people suggested to just substitute
cornstarch, potato starch or rice flour to thicken gravy.  Breads from Ener-
G and GF pantry were suggested for the stuffing.  Here are some of the
other responses,

The best stuffing in the world that is gf is made from Tostitos tortilla
chips.......I got the recipe from this group several years ago.  I don't
know the exact recipe but this is what I use:
It tastes just like StoveTop (if you like that!)

1 bag Tostitos
1 can gf chicken broth
minced celery/onions
Poultry seasoning to taste
(i've even added other ingredients over the years, whatever you would
normally put in your stuffing) the recipe calls for Bells Poultry seasoning
but I was never able to find it so I used Spice Hunter salt free poultry
seasoning.

i was going to suggest any cornbread stuffing recipe or you can buy brown
rice bread at the health food store and use that in your regular recipe..i
have and its come out fine...its a bit pricey but good...if in the past you
have used the bagged seasoned mixes for stuffing then you have to add the
seasoning...usually sage and a few others-i cant remember but i know i
looked at the package of same that i used to use to see what herbs were in
it and added those...the brown rice bread holds up ok (the white rice bread
does not hold up as well) and as far as gravy goes just make it as you
always do using white rice flour or cornstarch instead of wheat flour to
thicken it..personally i like the
rice flour better that cornstarch...just add a little at a time and WHISK
it in till its the consistency you like...you could mix it with water first
like cornstarch but you still need to whisk it to avoid lumps...you could
also use potato starch....

stuffing....make a cornbread stuffing...the recipe on the pkg of Indian
Head Cornmeal, available in supermarkets is really super.....then follow
your whims! easiest gravy....take 2 cans low sodium chicken stock such as
Swanson's...put in heavy pan, add some sage, rosemary thyme and reduce by
half. Remove herbs. At that pt, add a slurry...2 Tablespoons cornstarch in
a half cup cold liquid [I use sherry] and add to the boiling liquid,
stirring constantly.  It will thicken beautifully. At this pt add salt and
pepper to taste.  Do not add earlier because you are reducing the liquid.

After your turkey is roasted and removed from the pan, you will have some
meat drippings left behind.  Add some gluten-free chicken stock or white
wine to deglaze the pan.  This also helps to extend the quantity of gravy.

Mix 2-3 tablespoons (+/-) of cornstartch with about a cup of cold liquid
(chicken stock, wine, or water).  Whisk it into the pan with the meat
drippings.  Bring the mixture to a boil while you continue stirring.  The
gravy will thicken and clear.

Thanksgiving Stuffing that will amaze everyone!  Every non-celiac that has
ever tasted this stuffing stated it was the best they ever had!
Good Luck, Bonnie Kruszka, Author of Eating Gluten-Free with Emily
http://www.Xlibris.com/EatingGlutenFreewithEmily.html Corn Bread (Use your
favorite recipe and prepare the night before) I use Pamela's Mix and follow
this recipe.

1 ¼ cup Pamela's Pancake Mix
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar or honey
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs,  beaten
1 cup milk
2 TBSP butter, melted

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 8 inch square pan.  Bake 20-25
minutes.  Cut into ½ inch cubes and let sit our overnight to dry out.

Corn Bread Stuffing
8-12 TBSP butter
3 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
½ bunch of celery, trimmed and chopped
1 TBSP of finely chopped rosemary (fresh is best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Pecan halves, chopped
6 cups crumbled corn bread
½ bunch parsley, trimmed and minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in large skillet at medium heat.
Add onion, cook approximately 2 minutes, then add celery, rosemary, salt,
and pepper and cook 5 minutes.  Transfer to a large bowl and add pecans,
parsley, corn bread and mix well.  Place into baking dish and bake until
golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.

Serves 10 - 12 people.

YUM YUM!

GLUTEN FREE BARFIELD CORNBREAD DRESSING

1 large (9x13) pan cornbread
4-5 toasted pieces GF bread
2 cups chopped green onion
2 cups chopped celery
½ -1 Tsp salt (to taste) and pepper (opt.)
2 TAB (or more) GF poultry seasoning
4 eggs
1 cup chopped giblets from turkey broth you are making for gravy
4-6 cups turkey broth, or canned GF chicken broth

Crumble breads in large bowl.  Saute onion and celery and mix in.  Add 4
cups broth and let soak.  Begin to season and taste.  (My mother adds 1
teaspoon sugar.)  continue to add other ingredients until pretty mushy.
Beat eggs, stir in  and bake 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees, until set but
not too dry.

Serve alongside the turkey with GF gravy.  Just use cornstarch instead
of flour for the gravy.

BARFIELD CORNBREAD

2 cups cornmeal  2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup GF flour*  1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt   2 eggs
    2 Tab oil

Mix cornmeal, flour and salt in mixing bowl and blend.  In another
container (I use a 4 cup measuring pitcher)  put buttermilk, soda, eggs and
oil. Stir to get the eggs beaten up good.  Add to the dry mixture and beat
thoroughly by hand. Grease a 11x13 baking pan (we use a black skillet,
about 10inches) with Crisco or butter.  Bake at 400 degrees about 20
minutes, or until a little brown on top.

*GF flour.....  I use what ever I have around.  I take a 1/3cup
measuring cup and add heaping tablespoons of brown rice flour, tapioca,
soy, or potato flour.  Doesn’t seem to matter, as long as it is not just
one of them.