From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 06:52:15 -0500

Have receive quite new responses, so here they are:

Note that Tony Roma's didn,t answered me yet after 10 days.

Hi Mireille,

Sounds like you opened a can of worms with your comments, ouch.  I am hoping
you can help me locate the person who commented that they will be sticking
with Bahama Breeze and Outback from now on.  I do have the Outback GF menu I
got from the Delphi group you are also on.  I wrote to the Bahama Breeze
people who said they didn't have nutritional info available, but would
"research" it.  If this person who wrote you has already obtained a gf list
from the Bahama Breeze restaurants I would love to have it!

Hoping you can help.

i got sick from their baked potatoe too

I have a baked potato every time with everything except sour cream.  I
haven't had a problem.  But just as everyone else mentions cross
contamination is always a possibility

Wow! People really slammed you.  Let me apologize for them. Sometimes this
list takes EVERYTHING personal.  I'm sorry you had an adverse reaction. If
you have one, I would try Smokey Bones.  They are great for a Darden
restaurant. I eat there often and have never has problems

Hi Mireille,

I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada and I too after thorough explaining
even to the cook got very sick.  I took almost ten minutes of the cooks
time.  When I called later that night and let them know what they said
someone would get back to me..... No, they didn't get my name or phone
number.  I called back the next night just out of curiosity and asked
out their sauces and flour stuff explaining my disease they said all
their products have flour and I should find somewhere else to eat.  Then
I wrote to the company and told them about my eating experience and then
how I was treated by their staff.  It has been 4 months and I had send
one more letter about two months ago.

That is enough to make me NOT want to go back!!

Actually, in Canada, the sauces have all changed - I can't remember what
the change was, but they are definitely not gf IN CANADA.  Perhaps in
the states they are.  The chef in Calgary would not let me eat them as a
result - he even said they were not gf.

Sigh...they were really good

Mireille:

I have a questions, are the other 2 people you were with Celiac?  My
husband & I have often gone out, & we've had the same thing, & bingo, I
will have unhappy results, while nothing happens to my husband.  Before I
was diagnosed Celiac (almost 2 yrs. ago), we had been in TN visiting
friends.  8 of us went to a seafood restaurant, we all had the same thing,
fish ' chips, cole slaw, & dessert.  I was just starting or finishing my
dessert ( I can't quite recall), but I do recall spending the next over 1/2
hour in the ladies' room, didn't know why, of course.  I, for some reason,
chalked it up to the cole slaw then.  Of course, it was that, plus the
battered fish, & the chips, & dessert!!  My point being, none of the other
folks were celiac, & like I said, I didn't know I was back then either, but
I was the one who suffered the repercussions.  Just another little "food
for thought" tidbit.

Regards

cole slaw can have dairy which also gives me trouble as well as gluten and
the corn syrup in the bbq sauce would have been problematic for me too,
perhaps u have other sensitivities other that gluten that have yet to be
recognized

just a thought, hope it helps

Dear Mireille, Don't beat yourself up.  For another thing, I think
English is a second language for you, and the translation and meaning
may have gotten misunderstood.  Those of us who know your previous posts
would first suspect that you were feeling lousy and disappointed in your
experience.  It has happened to all of us, and I don't really know why
there are some really cranky, critical people on this list who feel they
MUST respond to everyone in a negative way.

Forgive yourself, and dine defensivly.  Question, question, question.
Love,

Mireille:

I'm going to a Tony Roma's this Thursday, (in Texas).  After reading about
your horrible experience, I immediately got on the phone & called them.
The young man I spoke with was very helpful, reading all the ingredients
from the bbq. sauce.  In fact, he told me the Tony Roma bbq sauce is sold
in Wal-Mart!!!  I'm inclined to think it would have been the cole slaw
before the sauce.  You don't know how long the slaw sits out in the
kitchen, or what  ingred. are used in it.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Another concerned Celiac thought about the baked potato....perhaps they
rubbed or sprayed them with canola oil.....it's cheap and often used in
rest.  Canadian Celiac Assoc says it is a no no since it is grown on
fallow wheat fields and they say it is contaminated from the ground up.
I think that has more of a chance than the sour cream

You know, a generic gf may be in effect, but I have seen where
restaurants run out of something...say milk...and send someone to the
local store to get some more....and IT may not be gf.  That has happened
to me with a rest. using Parmalatt milk....which my wheat allergic
friends and I react to here in the NYC area.  The same thing may have
happened to you.

Personally, I am very grateful when a warning is sounded by a person
visiting a rest and telling us about a bad experince.  And what nonsense
that you don't know what could have cuased it and when.  Of course you
know .  If a part. rest in a chain is sloppy, then we should know about it.

I think you did us a svc.

Mirelle I thought people were absolutely awful when they replied to you
about Tony Roma's.  I went to a Bob and Ruth's travel club forum and was
a little disappointed because we are much more compliant and I felt he
was a little lax but that is a personal opinion and we all have to
decide for ourselves.  I used to teach and many times when the
authorities were in the building we did our best lesson plans, etc., and
maybe there is some of that at work.  When Bob shows up at a company
headquarters and tells them he is writing a newsletter, they give him
their best words, but what really happens in their kitchens maybe another sorry.

I really appreciate all of the free advice you give us and really make
little attempt to sell it.  I am so tired of people making a disease not
only their lifestyle but also their way to make a living.

I have eaten all of the items you listed at Tony Roma's many times and I
have never had a reaction.  I am very sentitive, a few crumbs will make
me ill.

I am in Milwaukee, WI.  I wonder if Fl does something different.